2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

bad battery or alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bad battery or alternator?

since i bought my blazer, it seems like something is up with my charging system.

symptoms include:

* cold cold start * after first started when its cold outside, you can hear a ticking.. but not constant.. like tick tick tick tick tick... long pause then ....tick tick tick tick tick ... repeating until engine warms up for a few minutes. ( belt tensioner is new )

*daytime* gauge usually reads anywhere from around 11 to a tad above 14. turn the heater on and everything dims and the gauge drops to around 10 for about 5 seconds then goes to about 13.

*night* with low beams on the gauge reads about 13 going up to 14 once in a while, turn the heater on full with the lights on and the truck almost dies, lights all go really dim, gauge reads about 10 for a few seconds them goes up to 12 - 13 and once in a while a tad above 14. you can tell its struggling

so today i took it and got it tested at two different parts stores and they both told me my alternator is fine and my battery just needed a good charge.

ok i go home hook it to my charger and in 15 minutes on 12v 6 amp slow charge it was at 100%.

seemed odd so i started it up and unhooked the battery cable. dome light was almost flickering, but more of a pulse bright then dim. engine ran ok. gauge was at about 12 - 13 ish.

turned the headlights on high beam and turned the heater on low and the gauge dropped a tad but didnt die on me. turned the heater to full blast with the high beams on and it died.

so whats your opinions. i know something is not right here

Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Default RE: bad battery or alternator?

hate to bump my own thread, but id hate even worse to waste $150 on a new battery or alternator.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked all the cables for the battery and alternator for bad connections and/or corrosion including the terminal posts on the battery? It could also be a bad ground.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 AM

yes sir, i have. All my connections are good. Ive had almost everything in front of the windshield off at one point.

when I replaced the motor mounts I went over all the cables, hoses ect. just to make sure nothing got stretched or torn up while i had the engine jacked up.

its odd that ive had this issue for 5 months, and these symptoms have not changed one bit in that time.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Beginning Member
marcspector is an unknown quantity at this point

Something you might try, and this may sound crazy but, start your blazer up and while it is running, disconnect the battery cables from the battery, if it dies right away then your alternator is shot or about shot, if it continues to run then I would look to the battery.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the same issue since I bought mine. I did the big three upgrade, new alternator, and new battery with no solution. The next thing I plan on doing is getting a high output to see if that doesn't help. I'd hate for ya to buy a new alternator is that is not the issue. We will see what someone else has to say about it.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:37 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: marcspector

Something you might try, and this may sound crazy but, start your blazer up and while it is running, disconnect the battery cables from the battery, if it dies right away then your alternator is shot or about shot, if it continues to run then I would look to the battery.
It is my understanding that this method is not effective on modern computeruzed engines since the battery is in a constant state ofusage even with the engine running, and can even do damage to the alternator.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 AM
Beginning Member
Dymisamo is on a distinguished road

I have the same ticking problem. it seems to only last 10 seconds. can anyone explain what that could be? Plus don't batteries come fully charged when you buy them?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Starting Member
BlazinMike89 is an unknown quantity at this point

what rridle3 said is 100% correct. You can burn out the recitifer in seconds within the alternator, then you have to replace the whole assyembly. when you turn on accessories the voltage sways could be a bad alternator, sounds like Regulator possibly. If you have a Multimeter, start the car and place the leads across the red/black terminals. With car off should read 12.4-12.6, with car on should be 14.4 volts. Now The Real test is too turn on all accessories, heater, lights, anything radio and run car at approx 2000rpms. the Voltage Drop Should be no more than .5v if its more you alternator is the culprit not properly charging. Just check alll grounds and positive cable to alternator. Im lleaning towards a faulty Alternator

*Ticking- Valvetrain Noise possibly
Batteries usually come 12.2-12.6v depending life on shelf, always buy latest battery post date

Last edited by BlazinMike89; 03-13-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Beginning Member
Dymisamo is on a distinguished road

I just put a new alternator on it, i believe its a 100amps is that correct for my vehical? anyways I think the belt is loose somehow. I will take all the advice posted in this thread. thank you

Quick Reply: bad battery or alternator?