2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

BAM! No transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member
Itz My AeroplaIn is on a distinguished road
Default BAM! No transmission?

on the way to work, i pull outta the driveway. truck doesnt shift right away. then when it gets to second it takes off then i lose power mid gear almost... truck cant deceide whether to shift up or down.

its a 96 4wd 4.3, and im wondering if it could be throttle position sensor? maybe shift soleinoid? before i drop the cash on a new trans.... fluid is pink....

any help would be greatly appreciated..

Old 03-01-2012, 01:02 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

What happens when you manual shift?
What gears work and dont?
Need to get codes
Plus ANY other weird stuff happening. like idle speed.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If there's a problem with a sensor, a solenoid, or its wiring, it will turn the SES light on and set a DTC. Is the SES light on? If so, post the the DTC's here in the order that they are retrieved. You can go buy another trans and it MIGHT fix the problem, or, we can help you diagnose what the problem really is

Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Starting Member
bobby099 is on a distinguished road

you know im having the same problem but my blazer doesnt want to move some days. but i had someone look at mine they said the torque converter was going or if not bad already. then he said to change the fluid and see if theres any chucks of metal then i guess my tranny is gone. im really hoping that i dont have to buy a new tranny

Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Beginning Member
Itz My AeroplaIn is on a distinguished road

howdy again... stop[ped at he zone and the only codes that came up were for the purge valve or a sensor in the gas tank, not sure if that would be it...
manual shift works partially well. the way home from work its like i have no power... the truck will climb in revs and im not missing cylinders but its like theres something robbing all the power from my truck and thats causing the odd shift times. i can push the pedle down to the point of causiong downshift and it WILL SHIFT but there is no transfer of engine power to the wheels..... cousin said could be vaccum? coworker said might be crack in the block...
theres also a hissing sound.
today im checking for milky coolant or oil for worst case possibility....

Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The "hissing" sound could be from an exhaust restriction. Remove the oxygen sensors and drive it, see if performace changes.