2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Battery cable replacement question. Are + and - different types??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Beginning Member
YOURCONNEXX is on a distinguished road
Default Battery cable replacement question. Are + and - different types??

Didnt want to make a whole thread for this but all related threads are closed

i want to replace the postive and negative battery cables on my 97 blazer. when i look at the auto parts stores online, sometimes it specifies negative or positive, sometimes it doesnt.
my question is... is there a difference?? they are both copper wires right??

isnt it just all a matter of connecting them properly??
cant i just buy 2 of the cables and connect each side?

Old 09-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Cable terminals, cable length, and the gauge of cable used, all vary for each application. Some cables have an insulator to protect the insulation from high heat areas. Those things all need to be correct for your vehicle, but just as important is the gauge of cable that is used. Typically OEM cables are 4 or 2 gauge and the terminals are crimped to the copper cable. Crimping the terminals is a sign of cheap quality, and the connections will corrode, guaranteed, (that's why you need to replace the cables).

If you make the cables yourself, you'll end up with far better quality, and they will outlast OEM style. Most auto parts stores have battery cable in bulk spools, and the terminals can be purchased separately. Using 0 or 00 gauge cable, (the bigger the better) will provide a far better path for the current to flow. Positive and negative cables need to be the same gauge. The terminals need to be soldered to the cable, not crimped, and heat shrink tube installed to weatherproof it. A hand held propane torch, a roll of rosin core solder, (NOT acid core) and some heat shrink tubing is all you need. If you have questions regarding soldering, just ask.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I made my own cables using 1/0 gauge from my local audio shop. They are much better than what come on my blazer.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:25 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Cable terminals, cable length, and the gauge of cable used, all vary for each application. Some cables have an insulator to protect the insulation from high heat areas. Those things all need to be correct for your vehicle, but just as important is the gauge of cable that is used. Typically OEM cables are 4 or 2 gauge and the terminals are crimped to the copper cable. Crimping the terminals is a sign of cheap quality, and the connections will corrode, guaranteed, (that's why you need to replace the cables).

If you make the cables yourself, you'll end up with far better quality, and they will outlast OEM style. Most auto parts stores have battery cable in bulk spools, and the terminals can be purchased separately. Using 0 or 00 gauge cable, (the bigger the better) will provide a far better path for the current to flow. Positive and negative cables need to be the same gauge. The terminals need to be soldered to the cable, not crimped, and heat shrink tube installed to weatherproof it. A hand held propane torch, a roll of rosin core solder, (NOT acid core) and some heat shrink tubing is all you need. If you have questions regarding soldering, just ask.
i appreciate this

ill be finishing up this weekend

already have the positive cable out and disconnected from the starter

Old 09-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
I made my own cables using 1/0 gauge from my local audio shop. They are much better than what come on my blazer.
did you replace all the wires or just the large + and - ??

Old 09-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member

which brings me to my last question (for clarification)

@Captain Hook (or anyone who knows)

i also want to replace the 2 smaller ground cables on the negative and the cable going to the alternator.

my question is this

the factory cable set up has a larger cable for the two main + and - cables

the cables for the grounds and the cable going to the alternator are smaller.

when i replace them, should i buy a smaller cable for the alternator and ground or can they all be as large as the main cables???

Last edited by YOURCONNEXX; 09-24-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:25 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If you look up 'the big 3' upgrade, it talks about this.

It's where you up-size the wires going from the battery - to the chassis, the battery + going to the alt, and the engine block to the chassis.

The larger the wires here, the less resistance in the charging system, which = better power transfer. If I could remember the math, I'd quote how much voltage is dropped through the wire at 100 Amps, but the point is: bigger wire = more volts at any given current.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:26 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by YOURCONNEXX
did you replace all the wires or just the large + and - ??
I replaced the wire from the alternator to the battery and the ground to the frame and the one to the engine block with 1/0 gauge. I also replaced my main power cable to the fuse under the batter with 4 gauge.