2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

BCM bandit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:02 PM
DancFlyHigh is on a distinguished road
Unhappy BCM bandit?

I have a 2000 Blazer, 4dr, fwd, LT w/173K miles. My wife and I are retired (without benefits) so we're "poor" - no new car in the future. We really like the Blazer - it's been a wonderful vehicle for us for over the five years that we've owned it. But, it's gettin' spooky! Our local GM Chevrolet dealership says they've identified that the BCM needs to be replaced ($600 estimate) - but that may not be the "real" problem. A friend, young gun shade tree mechanic, took it for a week and isolated the fact that something is intermittently draining the battery (no start syndrome) - but, not all the time.

We've had a "clicking" sound from behind the dash for some time (sounds like the flasher for emergency lights or turn signal). If one depresses very slightly on the emergency flasher switch on the steering column, the clicking stops (the lights are not blinking - just the clicking). Whenever one steps on the brake pedal, the clicking stops. When the ignition is off, the clicking stops.

Also, about the same time that the "clicking" began, the "heat to the floor" mode on the heater stopped. There is no heat to the floor. All other locations/functions work - just no heat to the floor.

The remote door lock/unlock and remote start system has just quit working. We've replaced the batteries in the remote with no change. The system quit working about the same time that the other spooky problems began.

In frustration, and broke, I've ordered a side-post mount master battery cutoff switch and will install it on the positive terminal side. An inconvenience, but a necessary evil until some other solution presents itself. I guess I'd agree that the BCM might be hosed (or something controlled by the BCM is hosed), but I have no idea what functions/things are controlled by the BCM - no way to know what to look out for/listen for.

Any tips?

Thanks, Dan Clark

Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is a problem with the multifunction switch. Try THIS FIRST and if that doesn't work, then you will have to replace the whole multifunction switch as described HERE.

There have been a few people that have had success dismantling the multifunction switch, cleaning it, and putting it back together as well which is worth a shot if the quick, easy hazard switch replacement doesn't work out.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:03 AM
DancFlyHigh is on a distinguished road

WOW! I haven't yet tried either of the suggestions posted in reply, but I can't thank you enough for a prompt reply. It's folks like you who continue to bolster my faith in the world community of which I am a member. THANKS ! Take Care.