2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Belt Bypass (AC Compressor)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:50 PM
jhuseman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Belt Bypass (AC Compressor)

Any insight on the belt length to bypass a '96 Blazer AC compressor? It is making tons of noise and I don't need air for several months.

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Belt Bypass (AC Compressor)

You'll still need the compressor for 'dry' air for the defrost, no?

Old 01-14-2008, 06:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you don't need air at all, I would recommend you fix things right the first time. You cannot just remove the compressor and expect to only reinstall the compressor and have everything be fine. AC systems are meant to stay closed. When open, contamination can set in and cause all kinds of problems.

I do believe that there was a pulley available that went in place of the compressor allowing for the same belt to be used. If you know the routing of the belt without the compressor, you can just mark the current belt at each pulley and measure the straight line distance between the marks. Then remove the belt and measure the distance between the marks and add it to your previous measurements.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe if you go to the auto parts store, they can supply a bracket that will bolt into the place of the compresor, and then you just use the regular size belt, and the part does not cost that much. I have come across them for allot of other applications, but have not checked for the Blazer. Also, I agree with Kyle though, if you plan on fixing it right later, just do it now, and save yourself the headache, your defrost will work better too, like TBB said!! HTH...

Old 01-17-2008, 03:33 AM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

Why the heavens go through all that extra belt nonsense and just do what i do in these winter months,simply unhook the wire clip connection that activates AC unit? i just plug it in every month and run it for a day, as to allow regular funtioning.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why anyone would unplug the A/C...

Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 PM
jhuseman is an unknown quantity at this point

Kordog - I will probably go with your suggestion. However, under the hood, the diagram shows that there is a non A/C setup without removing the compressor. It looks like you can mounta smaller pulley just below the compressor. There is one bolt hole just below. If I could find that pulley, it seems there would be less work by not removing the compressor. I also found at the parts store that there is a specific belt for this setup.

I'm getting rid of the Blazer in a few months, so I don't want to spend the money on a new compressor.

Ideas?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

hey cant ya just get a fan belt for the eng without a/c???

Old 01-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Wasn't A/C standard...

Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.autozone.com/N,15300077//...eResultSet.htm

3 listings without a/c.

Quick Reply: Belt Bypass (AC Compressor)