2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Belt Bypass (AC Compressor)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Belt Bypass (AC Compressor)

It was optional to not have it ie. it is not very common. The whole routing is different with things in different locations. If you were to search, I believe that there are illustrations posted although by now the links may be dead.

*EDIT* - LOL Here ya go!
a/c removal - This applies for all '96+

Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 AM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand why anyone would unplug the A/C...

----
-save gas
-take a break from rather annoying clutch engaging/disengaging all the time&engine rpm's slowing speeding up.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Save gas... Yeah ok.. Didn't myth busters disprove that one already?

take a brake... - Well, a properly functioning A/C system shouldn't interfere with your life that bad...

Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Kyle beat me to it. The AC shouldn't be constantly cycling on / off if it's working properly. You probably have a low freon level, which most likely means a slow leak in the system.

Mythbusters has "confirmed" that running without AC connected has absolutely no benefit to saving gas. They also proved that running with the tailgate UP on a pickup truck increases gas mileage.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:05 PM

I do Not accept their mythbusting capabilities!
I want a real world test,real hills,wind,idling in traffic,start&stop..none of this constant 50mph on aFLAT highway. They are waaay to quick to scream "Confirmed/plausible".
That big speaker they made,i could see failure in it the second the were fabricating the wimpy,poorly designed cran to move that big speaker,and what do they do because of their goof "confimed"..i do not take them so seriously anymore,they are just math wizzes playing like you or I! I confirm they are NOT "experts"..as for the tailgate up: again i want real world tests not consistant speeds!

Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Uh, it would be technically IMPOSSIBLE to do a real world driving test (windy roads, hills, wind speed, etc...because you CAN'T control every variable) therefore a comparative test on a flat highway with either the tailgate UP or DOWN, running side by side, gives you a pretty accurate set of data to determine gas savings. Since everybody's driving style is also different (i.e. stops / starts / lead foot peel outs / soft starts), you couldn't possibly do an accurate comparison in the real world. Most automotive data doesn't come out of the real world anyway. Do you think Detroit tests real world situations for their overall data and mileage statistics....they use test tracks and simulations...i.e. controlled variable tests.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Administrator

I just pointed to one example that most people would know about. I tested this same thing with my Bravada. But I doubt you'll believe me either. I even made notes in my log book on the fuel stops when I wasn't using A/C with my Bravada. Average temps were nearly the same as well (mid 80's). Same mileage (16.3 avg) with or without A/C. My drive at the time was 20 miles one way with 4 stop signs and 6 traffic lights. Speeds ranged from 20-30mph in town to 50-60mph on two lane depending on the flow of traffic. Why did I not mention it prior, for the same reason as junk posted. There is no way to keep the variables constant. But again, I still did it.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:07 PM

See that info ismuch more valuable to me Swartllk,then a guy who gets excited everytime there's an explosion on set,calls himself an expert..then..Gasp.. sticks his cheek into a running vacum cleaner engine..ya i already knew i would'nt of 'Dotry thisat home people",as one expert/adam mentions.(i'malways be screamingat thosehastely "confirmed/plausable mythsters. Takelast weeks, Why did'nt they try combining all 3 speed gun myths together,on outdoing radar guns then..OR does it work, and the gov't/FCC stepp in to not let that info air?