2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Best Brake Pads Brand

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Starting Member
Tuna is on a distinguished road
Default Best Brake Pads Brand

I just got a notice from Rock Auto that they are offering CLEARANCE prices on all Blazer parts. I was thinking that maybe this would be a good time to buy brake pads for my 1999. I am just wondering what the "experts" here think are the best pads to install???

Also, are there any other items highly recommended to purchase for the inevitability of failure. I realize that the likely response for the Blazer will be "EVERYTHING", but I thought this could open up a good discussion. I have replaced most anything involving fuel and ignition in search of better gas mileage. Will probable eventually acquire a new MAS unit and O2 sensor, as well.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Beginning Member
danthony428 is on a distinguished road

I've just purchased many things from rock auto in the last few weeks. Almost all the steering components, new brake calipers, wheel bearings, ball joints, and a bunch of other things.

I had a check list of things I wanted/needed to replace on my Jimmy and I've just been going down the list and picking up parts when I can. I would suggest you do the same, just make a list of things you want to do in the near future, and pick up the parts at a good price.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Starting Member
Default Parts shopping

Thanks for the feed back. Yep. that's what I'm doing. Do you have an opinion on the best brake pads for my 1999?

Old 03-13-2015, 01:59 PM
BirchyBoy is on a distinguished road

I'm probably going to put PowerStop on my '02. I put them on my '99 Yukon and they were very good. The RockAuto price is good, but shipping takes away some of the goodness.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:28 PM
Beginning Member
danthony428 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BirchyBoy
I'm probably going to put PowerStop on my '02. I put them on my '99 Yukon and they were very good. The RockAuto price is good, but shipping takes away some of the goodness.
Even with the added shipping cost, the prices are still around half of what you would pay at a big name auto parts store. I priced out Moog ball joints at Oreilly and advanced auto parts, they were a little under 40 a joint in my area. I paid less than 20 on rock auto. Same goes for tie rod ends. To make up for the shipping cost you just need to stack all of what you need at once instead of making multiple orders.

As for shipping times, I generally get my parts within 3 days after the purchase. My rule of thumb is basically "Do I need this part today, or can I wait a few days for a much better price?"

Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Wagner pads and shoes have always worked well for me.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Starting Member

On those Power Stop brake kits: What size or kit number would you recommend for my 1999 with everything stock. I see there are some options listed on Rock Auto?

Old 03-14-2015, 04:27 PM
Aeromaster is on a distinguished road

I had run ceramics for years and braking was terrible. I've tried Raybestos, Bendix and others but the rotors would tear up and pads would heat up and fade. Last summer I put cheaper Wearevers silvers organic and new rotors on the rear and braking has never been better. From what I can see through the wheel the rotors are smooth and shiny on the braking surface and no rust flaking on the rotor hub.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

I'm up in the air on this...I've been told that ceramic is OEM but my rears are squealing and the pads are new. Might try this Wearevers...aren't they Advance Auto?

Old 03-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Aeromaster is on a distinguished road

Yes Wearevers are sold at Advance Auto and can't complain I think the organic silvers are same price as Rock Auto.
I typically order on line, pick up at store and use promo codes to save $40 on orders of $100 or more. There are also Promo codes for lesser amounts...

Quick Reply: Best Brake Pads Brand