2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Best Fan Clutch Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Beginning Member
masterchf117 is on a distinguished road
Default Best Fan Clutch Replacement?

I need to replace my fan clutch on my 2000 Blazer. My Blazer occasionally has some overheating issues but nothing too bad. The water pump is going to be replaced soon, but I want to replace the fan clutch also.

I would like to replace it with an AC Delco 15-40684 and was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with other brands.

A local shop sells a Hayden fan clutch for about 1/3 the cost of the AC Delco one which makes me wonder why there is such a large price difference.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:41 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced one on a friends blazer, bought it at advance auto,, there is a way to test that fan clutch to make sure its working or not.. unless you wanna just repalce it while your in there, go right ahead.. Also just so ya know they don`t come off like the older clutches did with 4 nuts and washers.. you`ll need a large adjustable wrench and some elbow grease, and you`ll be able to get it off the water pump.. when i changed the one i did, i left the belt on till i got it loose enough...

Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by masterchf117

A local shop sells a Hayden fan clutch for about 1/3 the cost of the AC Delco one which makes me wonder why there is such a large price difference.

heres where i buy most of my stock replacement parts - Amazon.com

everytime i need a part i check out the part number on the amazons website with auto parts webssite and i usually find it for cheaper on amazon. yeah i dont get get a warranty this way but........... when i bought a delphi fuel pump for $150 instead of $300 at auto parts stores and it solves all my fuel pressure issues ........ then im very very happy........

Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Why are you changing the water pump and fan clutch? You say you have an occasional overheating issue. Can we get more info? I hate to see you go through the trouble of swapping parts and the truck still overheats!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Beginning Member
masterchf117 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kristoph30
Why are you changing the water pump and fan clutch? You say you have an occasional overheating issue. Can we get more info? I hate to see you go through the trouble of swapping parts and the truck still overheats!
By occasional overheating I mean that when my Blazer idles during the summer the temperature begins to rise after ~2 mins rather quickly. So I figure I am going to replace the fan clutch and see if that helps the idle heat problem.

I will be changing the water pump because my Blazer is about to turn 90K and I would rather replace the water pump on my own time than have it fail when I do not have the time to replace it.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by masterchf117
By occasional overheating I mean that when my Blazer idles during the summer the temperature begins to rise after ~2 mins rather quickly. So I figure I am going to replace the fan clutch and see if that helps the idle heat problem.

I will be changing the water pump because my Blazer is about to turn 90K and I would rather replace the water pump on my own time than have it fail when I do not have the time to replace it.
I've seen my share of overheating problems in the last 40 years and unless the water pump is leaking through the weep holes it generally doesn't need replacing and rarely the cause. The pump impeller is pretty heavy duty and failure rate is low. If the fan is turning and not loosely freewheeling then it too is most likely not the cause. A full system flush and perhaps a thermostat change is always the first thing I try.

What I found out here was that mixing regular antifreeze with Dexcool creates globs of gunk in the block and radiator. Learning about it 2 years later didn't help but it's something I wont repeat. After replacing my radiator I continued to have overheating problems until by chance I had to replace my lower intake manifold gasket and found the rear water ports were almost plugged with cork like crap. Standard garden hose type flushing never gets that stuff out so a complicated chemical flush is required. The like below is mind blowing for something that seems so simple.

GM Service Informatio - Dexcool System FLush

Old 07-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Starting Member
R134A is on a distinguished road

Simple if it is not broke don't fix it if your water pump is not leaking don't replace it water pumps are not a mileage replacement part.(I have 190000 on my jimmy and never replaced the water pump but I did have your problem open the hood cold engine spin your fan if it spins more than one time while cold replace the clutch fan a good air hammer and the right adapter makes this job very easy

Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

using an air hammer on a shaft with bearing and seals is a really good way to screw up the water pump. I would use a strap wrench and a large crecent wrench.