2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Big Problem... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Big Problem... HELP!

It is not that simple. Just because there is a peg there, doesn't mean that there wasn't additional movement of the needle shaft once you removed the needle. Did you have the truck key'd on when you removed the needles? Now I don't see how that would cause your other problems, but you should never remove the needles without having the cluster in and the truck key'd on, waiting until the needles complete their sweep.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:03 AM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

The easiest thing to do now is just keep trying to find the right spot for the needles by putting it in, turning the key, adjusting over and over again until you get it right. With the truckl off, the needle will go all the way down to the stopper and stay there. I had the same problem when I did my gauges. I put the speedo needle in too far and I was doing about 30mph, but the speedo said 0. Usually the tach needle is right about the first line when the truck is running. I just pulled the needle out, started the truck, and put the needle right there. It might be a tad bit off, but closer than anything. But you should always right them down before you pull the needles. As far as the speedo, do what I did. Turn the truck on, put the needle right down by the stopper, take it for a drive, and find one of those radar speed checkers and see how close you are lol. They happened to have one set up down the street from my house when I did my gauges so I used that to check my speedo needle.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:10 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

...Did you have the truck key'd on when you removed the needles? ...you should never remove the needles without having the cluster in and the truck key'd on, waiting until the needles complete their sweep.
no, i had the gauge cluster completely removed and so i could get the LEDs into the back of it. i set on a table inside so it was level and popped the needles straight up

i plan on taking out the other needles to paint the backside white. should i leave the cluster bolted in the dash with the key on? then write down where they are and then pop them out (while still in the dash)?

Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may get lucky, but yes, you should have recorded the position of the needles with the cluster in, key-on first, then you can remove the cluster and do what you need to do. For the speedo and tach, you should be able to put the cluster back in without the clear benzel, key-on, then put the needles back on at the zero position. For anything else removed... I could do it with a my scan tool, but...