2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Beginning Member
Rhodes19 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by KRUSHER
They are hard to get to. going through the wheel well from outside the vehicle helps. I'll let you come help replace my heater blower motor ! LOL That's going to be a "fun" job, not looking forward to it. Maybe it will hold out till warmer weather. LOL
Go through the wheel well? Now you tell me!! LOL. I get a feeling I will be doing that again in the near future. Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by jigger
Rhodes did you try the rubber mallet yet? That might get it home if it isn't there.
Yeah, I smacked it quite a few times and no luck. It must be shot. Last time I checked it at least I got some psi. Nothing this time. Couldn't even hear the pump cycle on or off. It looks like I'll be replacing a fuel pump. I had a couple of estimates and the cheepest was $480 and that was with a discount at a dealership where my daughter works part time. Wish the economy was better.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 PM
jjohnson77 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem had to replace the fuel pump. My old one wasn't putting out enough pressure to open the injector. Works great now, Good luck~!

Old 01-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Beginning Member
moldeck is on a distinguished road

Had all the same issues you had. Changed the filter and the auto part store said I would get about 3 weeks till I needed a new pump. He was right, now I need a pump. I checked the parts store where I bought it last time and they said I had a lifetime warentee. pulled it out and went to get my new one. pump I had has a 1 yr war. and am sitting in the same boat as you.

Question: the pumps on ebay for 60-80 bucks work? They have no manufacture, just repalcement pump makers. It makes me mad that i change the trans for 1/3 the cost of a fuel pump.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by jjohnson77
I had the same problem had to replace the fuel pump. My old one wasn't putting out enough pressure to open the injector. Works great now, Good luck~!
Thanks. I haven't replaced a fuel pump yet but there is a first time for everything. I haven't gotten the car home yet and with temps in the teens and twenties, it might be a while before I get to it. My daughter leaves for Japan next week to study for a semester so I will have time to work on it when I can (and is warmer!!). I'll need to find some blocks to put the Blazer on so I can crawl and work under it.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by moldeck
Had all the same issues you had. Changed the filter and the auto part store said I would get about 3 weeks till I needed a new pump. He was right, now I need a pump. I checked the parts store where I bought it last time and they said I had a lifetime warentee. pulled it out and went to get my new one. pump I had has a 1 yr war. and am sitting in the same boat as you.

Question: the pumps on ebay for 60-80 bucks work? They have no manufacture, just repalcement pump makers. It makes me mad that i change the trans for 1/3 the cost of a fuel pump.
Hi Moldeck,

I wish I was telepathic and knew I would be needing a new pump within 3 weeks. That must be a common occurance. Oh well. From what I have read and have been told, we are better off buying new pumps from the OM than getting rebuilt or cheaply made after market pumps. Paid for that 3 years ago and now we need a new pump.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Beginning Member
moldeck is on a distinguished road

I am going out on a limb this time and I bought a pump off ebay for 65 in stead of the 290 at the parts store. I think I am going to sell this baby before it is worth scrap. Got a price from the junk yard of 195 for a used pump. I just want it out of my garage. It has become my spare vehicle at this point. But I think I want to get a newer one, this one owes me nothing, been a great truck. My last pump was a Airtex (280.00) and it made it 4-5 yrs, but i did not drive it for at least 1.5 of thoes years.

Last edited by moldeck; 01-12-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Beginning Member

I am going out on a limb this time and I bought a pump off ebay for 65 in stead of the 290 at the parts store. I think I am going to sell this baby before it is worth scrap. Got a price from the junk yard of 195 for a used pump. I just want it out of my garage. It has become my spare vehicle at this point. But I think I want to get a newer one, this one owes me nothing, been a great truck. My last pump was a Airtex (280.00) and it made it 4-5 yrs, but i did not drive it for at least 1.5 of thoes years.
Hi moldeck,

Her Blazer is paid for and we are tryintg to get as much out of it as we can. At some point we (her) can't get a newer car with her still in collage and this economy doing so great (said tongue in check) we'll have to stick with fixing it ourselves. What is the life expectancy of a fuel pump for a Blazer? Of all the vehicles we have had over the years, this is the first one to have a fuel pump go out.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:40 AM
flipstream is on a distinguished road

how did the ebay fuel pump work out? any updates?

Old 05-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Beginning Member

Finally, I got my daughter's Blazer home the other week and we replaced the fuel pump this past week. I had help from a friend who has done this a few times so that was a great help. We had to drop the tank (full of gas) in order to replace the pump and then we had to cut and wire in a newer/different harness. All together it took about 4-5 hours. Works now!!

Next project, replace the compressor and all the other AC parts that need changen as well.

Quick Reply: Blazer cranks but won't start