2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer rear brake problems.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Beginning Member
Swompdonkey is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer rear brake problems.

Hi everyone, I finally settled on a 04 xtreme. On my way home from the dealer today. (Didnt even have it an hour) the rear brakes got hot to the point they where smoking alot. Seemed like passenger side was the worst. I called the sales guy but i bought it as is so im pretty sure im stuck with fixn it myself. I think maybe ebrake is some how stuck on or maybe calipers are sticking. The dealer said it had new pads (probably not to new now) a guy at tires plus told me these trucks have issue with calipers and you have to buy new ones when changing rear pads. ???

Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

your going to have to take it apart to find the problem

places like Napa will sell you a rebuilt caliper with with all new hardware

I do suggest taking the pin hardware out of a rebuilt caliper and lubing it with a quality bake lube if you go that route

Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Bet the calipers are seized from when the changed the pads. The rears almost always do. You can try to lube it up well but calipers are probably in your future lol.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

Just went through all the brake problems, take calipers apart and lube the sliders. My e-brake was also on a little all the time, everything was getting hot. I removed the e-brakes and through them in the trash. Blazer rolls better then ever now. No more e-brakes but who uses it anyway. Been fighting that e-brake for years, but not any more.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks. Ended up replacing both back calipers. Piston wherent retracting. Thanks. Hope no more problems.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I just did the same thing on both rears. Ruined a new set of pads. I ended up replacing the E-Brake Shoes, calipers and pads. For the calipers I filled them up with brake fluid on the bench to eliminate as much air as possible. After installation I used my vacumn pump to bleed the calipers at the bleed fitting. Brakes are solid and not spongy at all.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 AM
Beginning Member

Vacume pump to breed brakes? Hmm how does that work? I had new pads, now heat cracked, aint got cash to buy new so theyll have to do for a while.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Beginning Member
the DJ is on a distinguished road

Brake hoses can collapse. trapping pressure in the callipers.
When the brakes are still getting hot even with new callipers that's the next thing i'd change.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Crack the bleed valve open. Connect vacumn pump hose to the bleed valve fitting. My vacumn pump kit came with small container that has a lid for connecting one hose to the pump and the other to the liquid side. Squeeze the pump handle to create a vacumn making sure that the hose stays on the bleed valve fitting it will suck the fluid into the container.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 AM
2blazersforme is on a distinguished road

i had same problem with new brakes. put them on and the calipers didnt work right. for some reason when you press them back in they dont work right. i had this with both my blazers. 2001 and 2004. bought autozone calipers with liftime warranty. northern states really tear them up.

Quick Reply: Blazer rear brake problems.