2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer transmission service

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021 | 10:29 AM
|
Beginning Member
rsaunders80 is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer transmission service

Took my Blazer in for what I thought was routine maintenance. Wanted fluid change (not flush) plus new filter an pan gasket. Took it to a respectable shop and they called saying there is a lot of sediment in the pan and initially recommended putting the old fluid back in. They said the detergents in new fluid may harm the seals. Then they called back and said there is too much sediment in the fluids and will need to replace it.

Overall they said this is indicative of a transmission that needs to be rebuilt. Prior to this service it ran really well, no hard shifts or slipping. I told them to change the fluids and I'll see how it goes.

The photos show what they sent from the shop. Should I expect this transmission to blow in the near future? I plan to also investigate additives to help the seals. From my (obviously biased) perspective, I don't see anything in these photos I would have been majorly concerned about if I dropped the pan myself. I freely admit to be no expert on transmissions, which is why I'm looking for input here. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by rsaunders80; 03-12-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2021 | 12:35 PM
|
Beginning Member

As another note, I have read past forum postings about transmission fluid changes and understand that messing with older transmissions is more risky and may speed up an already-failing transmission. I'm interested on any input on how bad the above looks so I know what to expect. Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 03-12-2021 | 01:37 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I'm no transmission expert, but that looks pretty typical to me. I don't see any metal to speak of, just clutch material. And even that doesn't look THAT bad.

Old 03-12-2021 | 02:27 PM
|
Beginning Member

Thanks Tom, that helps to hear. I didn't think it was THAT bad either, but it is worse than I see in most youtube videos (the only reference point I have for this subject). Hopefully this is just more gunk in the pan than that shop is used to seeing. If I get any slipping I'll try the Lucas additive and hope for the best. At this point there's not a lot else to do, the car isn't really worth a $1500+ transmission rebuild.

Old 03-12-2021 | 10:00 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Every truck/transmission is different but at around 105,000 the transmission in my truck was power flushed. It would slip into shifts if I was going through a turn. Nothing changed after the new fluid and filter and all of the forecasts of the immediate vaporization of my tranny because of the new fluid were premature. I'm at 205,000 miles now and the trans operates exactly the same. I don't doubt that disturbing the fluid in some transmissions has caused trouble but I didn't have that experience.

George

Old 03-13-2021 | 08:58 AM
LannyL81 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rsaunders80
Thanks Tom, that helps to hear. I didn't think it was THAT bad either, but it is worse than I see in most youtube videos (the only reference point I have for this subject). Hopefully this is just more gunk in the pan than that shop is used to seeing. If I get any slipping I'll try the Lucas additive and hope for the best. At this point there's not a lot else to do, the car isn't really worth a $1500+ transmission rebuild.
The 4L60E is a very common transmission; the rebuild prices I have seen are well under $1000. If that shop told you $1500+ to rebuild, suggest talking to a different shop.