2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer wants to creep forward

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Beginning Member
johnroe2727 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer wants to creep forward

Hopefully someone may know whats going on here....

I have a 1997 Blazer and I'm gonna do the best I can with describing what she does after the car is completely warm. When I come to a stop and I lift off the brake pedal and creep forward a little, and then press the brake pedal back down. I notice it's fairly hard to press the brake pedal back down, as well as the cars' RPM gets high and wants to go. This issue is making me nervous for the fact that sometimes it can be really hard to get the car to stop. I'm hoping this makes sense to someone but I was reading up on other forums that a brake booster problem is the root cause of a stiff brake pedal and that having a vacuum leak is the root cause of a car wanting to creep forward drastically, but it just seems weird to have both of these issues show up simultaneously. Thanks for viewing and if anyone has more questions about the issue, let me know. It's one of those weird problems that's hard to describe unless you're in the car feeling it.

- John

Old 09-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Beginning Member
cardude59 is on a distinguished road

if the brake booster is the vacuum leak it makes perfect sence. what you are discribing is the possible loss of vacuum due to a leak, and if the booster is not getting vacuum it has no assist.the booster can store 1-2 brake applications of vacum. if the booster is the leak than you one stop and on second application there is no more boost and a surge of engine rpm with the added air to the intake system.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Starting Member
jmaynard is on a distinguished road

The brake booster is hooked straight up to manifold vacuum. If the booster diaphragm is bad, it will leak outside air into the manifold. Because fo the way it works, when your foot isn't on the brake, the booster is sealed. Your booster sounds like it's going bad, but isn't completely toast yet.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by jmaynard
The brake booster is hooked straight up to manifold vacuum. If the booster diaphragm is bad, it will leak outside air into the manifold. Because fo the way it works, when your foot isn't on the brake, the booster is sealed. Your booster sounds like it's going bad, but isn't completely toast yet.
Thank you for responding: So would you suggest changing the brake booster to fix this vacuum leak? That is what I'm taking in from your response. Thanks

Old 09-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cardude59
if the brake booster is the vacuum leak it makes perfect sence. what you are discribing is the possible loss of vacuum due to a leak, and if the booster is not getting vacuum it has no assist.the booster can store 1-2 brake applications of vacum. if the booster is the leak than you one stop and on second application there is no more boost and a surge of engine rpm with the added air to the intake system.
Thank you for you input: Would you suggest changing the brake booster to fix this issue? Thanks