2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 AM
TyLord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer won't start!

So i'm losing my freaking mind over this. It's happened about4 times in the last month, usually i would be driving it around and when i stopped somewhere, it wouldn't start. Everything sounds totally fine starter is turning over fine and everything sounds normal, it just doesn't fire. After a few hours, it would start up and be fine until the next time.

I took it to a few places and they all said it sounds like the fuel pump. But when they did tests the fuel pump came back fine. After he 4th time, they were sure it was the fuel pump and they change it. I'm sure you all know that a fuel pump isn't cheap for this truck.

Well on saturday it happened again, which means it wasn't the fuel pump and now i'm totally lost.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blazer won't start!

Do you notice the security light being on when it is refusing to start?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 AM

I'm not sure which light is the "security"light?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blazer wont start!

It is the light that reads "SECURITY" on the dash, lit up in yellow. It should be on the driver side up towards the top if you do not have a tachometer, above the high-beam and left turn signal indicators in the middle of the dash if you have a tachometer. It should illuminate on key-on, then go out. If you notice that it comes on and stays on when you are having the no-start issue, then the ignition switch is the likeliest culprit.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:47 AM

No, i would've noticed that. The light turns off pretty much right away.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:02 AM

i thought it was heat related as it seemed to only do it after driving for awhile and then after letting it sit for a few hours it would fire up.About two weeks ago when it brokedown, i left it over night and the next morning it still wouldn't start.

Could it be a distributor problem maybe?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 AM

So it happened again on friday. Went to work in the morning, wouldn't start when i went to leave... actually it did start and died after about 4 seconds and then wouldn't start again.

I came back later that night, no go. Tried again saturday aft, it started for about 20 secs this time, then died and same deal, no go. I left it all day sunday, came into work this morning and started it and it was fine. I let it run for about half an hour, shut it off, went to start it up... no go. Now i'm about to go, right the mental hospital, cause i'm loooosing it over this.

After doing some research i stumbled upon what was mentioned earlier with the security light, that's definitely not the problem. I then learned about the mythical engine murderer called the "crank position sensor", but the fact that it started makes me unsure of that. So where does that leave me?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Next thing I would check would be the fuel pressure while it is acting up.

The CKP sensor should trip a code. These PCMs are pretty picky about the CKP/CMP correlation.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:26 PM

I haven't been able to get the fuel pressure checked when it's acting up. But i have it checked for codes a few times and there nothing, sigh...

Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 PM
otto7668 is an unknown quantity at this point

my blazer is doing the same exact thing as yours right now. I just changed the fuel pump last month, fuel filter 2 days ago, new cap and rotar yesterday, and did fuel injector cleaner and all that stuff too. i have no clue whats causing this problem. Also does yours bog down when you give it more than half throttle?

[IMG]local://upfiles/11802/2FF4B45E5D954DDA97AD2606D69E8D3B.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Blazer won't start!