2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 02:21 AM
zr2tsog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Blazer won't start!

just an idea, my buddy's cavalier is doing the same thing and replace the computer or something and still run and won't stat after a while. after changing everything, no code was found, this guy from a junk yard gave him an egr valve that came of a very low miles cavalier as you know they are not cheap when you buy a new one. suprisingly, that fix the problem and ran good too. hope this help for an idea? good luck! [sm=smiley13.gif]

Old 08-26-2008, 03:05 AM
1997blazerls4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

my 1997 blazer is doing the same thing, ill try to start it sometimes and it wont start, and none of the lights on the guage will come on? the computer reads nothing apperently wrong, can someone hellp me?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member
bjsx8f is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i would check fuel pressure.... also take a look at your map sensor. Wouldnt think it would be the distributor saying that it starts up again after you try a bit.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:13 AM
TyLord is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: otto7668

my blazer is doing the same exact thing as yours right now. I just changed the fuel pump last month, fuel filter 2 days ago, new cap and rotar yesterday, and did fuel injector cleaner and all that stuff too. i have no clue whats causing this problem. Also does yours bog down when you give it more than half throttle?
I'm not having any throttle problems at all. Once it's actually running, everything feels great. I'm at a loss, i think i'm actually going to take it to GM... ugh

Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Beginning Member
uberfiend is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar problem last summer with my '95 Blazer. Starter engaged just fine, but the engine often wouldn't start, especially when it was warm. As the problem got to be more frequent, I also started to notice that the engine would stall at lights, and eventually even on the highway.

After a lot of expensive trial and error, the problem turned out to be the injection spider which I ended up replacing. I'm not sure if the troubleshooting steps are the same on newer models, but others have posted their system for testing CPI spiders.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:15 PM
TyLord is an unknown quantity at this point

I checked out that thread and it doesn't sound like my problem.Everything runs fine once it starts. I have talked to about a half dozen mechanics just this morning and i've reduced it down to 3 possibilites, 1 imparticular for me.

But, seeing everyone elses problems, i thought i'd list the other two as they seem to coincide with the other problems listed here.So everyone with problems like mine, should investigate the3 items i've listed and see if any matches your problems.

Ignition Module (which i think is my problem)
EGR Valve
Crank Position Sensor

Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Beginning Member
piedmontfbody is an unknown quantity at this point

Same problem I am pulling my hair out over!! No start in the morning until the 3rd or 4th try, then it starts and runs beautifully the rest of the day.

New fuel pump about 2 months ago, new fuel filter about a year ago, went and bought a new battery day before yesterday. Fuel pump comes on in the morning and ispulling about 58 psi cold and is getting voltage. I have read I need about 60-65 psi for it to start properly. It runs about 54 psi driving.

I am getting really frustrated trying to figure this out, but I really think I have narrowed it to the fuel system. I am going to change the fuel filter again and see what happens. If that doesn't solve it, then I guess fuel pres regulator?? Any suggestions????

Old 08-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fuel pump looks to be working perfectly fine. 58psi is good for starting. To test the fuel pressure regulator, monitor the fuel pressure after you turn the key off. If it drops more than 2-3psi in the first minute after key off, then there is a leak somewhere in the system.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member
piedmontfbody is an unknown quantity at this point

It drops rapidly to about 50-52 psi after the pump primes to 58. Then I turn it over, once, twice,three times...start. The pressure seems to increase a few psi at each try. I have checked the tank and pump for leaks and don't see or smell any gas back there.

I have noticed that I don't hear the 'woosh' sound at the filter any longer. I wondered if there is a small leak there somewhere, but I didn't see any fuel squirting out or smell any. Same for around the inlet at the throttle body. Do you think it is an inside leak FPR, injectors??

Old 08-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What happens if you turn the key to the ON position, wait a few seconds, then OFF and repeat that a few times before trying to start it?

Does the pressure drop more or does it steady off at 50-52psi and stay there?

Quick Reply: Blazer won't start!