2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blinker clicking when not in position

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Beginning Member
Heffty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blinker clicking when not in position

When my Blinker is in the neutral position (ie not in the position to blink left or right) I am still getting the blinker clicking sound on the right hand side of my dash. At times it just keeps making that clicking sound until I fiddle with the rod a bit or position in into left or right and then back again. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a quick fix for it or if I am going to have to take it to the shop. My Blazer is a '99 4x4 two door. Thank you.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Beginning Member
Default RE: Blinker clicking when not in position

Still no reply on this one *sigh*.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:19 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

my guess is the switch is bad.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, mine was doing that a couple months ago. New multi-function switch fixed it.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member

Is that easy to do? How much is that switch? Where can I buy it?

Old 05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
JoeRock is an unknown quantity at this point

I read on another forum that one person removed the steering wheel cover and sprayed electronic cleaner with lubricant on the switch contacts and was able to get rid of the problem. How long it will last? I don't know. But he states that he sprayed in areas where the can straw could reach and at the same time moved the switch up and down to get it in there good.

I have the same problem and when I can, I'm going to try the cleaner first.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:55 PM
golovemd is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the opposite problem in my Astro (well, somewhat opposite). When I use the turn signal, either left or right, it doesn't blink. It just stays solid. Not sure if this is related to the same issue with the switch contacts. Anyone seen this before?

Old 05-28-2007, 11:06 AM
JoeRock is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: golovemd

I have the opposite problem in my Astro (well, somewhat opposite). When I use the turn signal, either left or right, it doesn't blink. It just stays solid. Not sure if this is related to the same issue with the switch contacts. Anyone seen this before?
Check your signal relay or the turn signal bulbs (they could be burnt).

Old 05-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

"Is that easy to do? How much is that switch? Where can I buy it?"
I would not say easy and this job in the same sentence (unless it was immediately after the word "not"). It is certainly doable though, it just depends on your skill level. I don't remember what I paid for the switch, but it's available at any parts store. Autozone showed one for 146.99, Advance was more, but I've had good luck with Standard Ignition Products (the brand Advance showed).

I can see the argument for the electrical contact cleaner. When I took my old switch out, there was a lot of contaminated grease where the steering wheel contacts rode across the switch contacts. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out there was a lot of copper powder abraded off the contacts and mixed into the grease makingthe potential for shorts anywhere across where the grease was.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Beginning Member

In order to get to the switchdo I need any special tools? I was going to try to find a schematic for the wiring in one of those complete mechanic books you can get for each vehicle at CanadianTire.If any of you have one by chance (1999 Chev Blazer 2door 4x4) I'd really appreciate it if you could scan and email it to me at sstewart5@hotmail.comas I went to my local Canadian Tire Store but they did not have the 99 Chev Blazer book (or S10 I think is what it is, not sure) and it won't be some time until I get to the city.

A friend of mine and I are going to try the contact cleaner and try to get into that area where the switch is...so any additional advice before we did that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for everyones help so far.

Quick Reply: Blinker clicking when not in position