2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blocked Up Evap Lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Beginning Member
Xipher is on a distinguished road
Default Blocked Up Evap Lines

Hello!

2003 Chevy Blazer 4x4 4 door.

Takes a truly silly amount of time to gas into the tank, and yes I already replaced the dump valve up behind the spare tire with a new one.

How... exactly do you remove the charcoal canister, and how do you get the lines off of it? I can get the bottom line off easy and it REEKS of gas once I do, but I'll be damned if I can get anything else off of it.

I want to replace that canister and blow out all the lines with compressed air.

Can I blow the lines clean from the connection they have on the charcoal canister while they are still connected to the gas tank, or do I need to be able to remove both ends?

I've half-*** attempted for 15-20min before to get the lines off and kinda figure out the correct way to remove the canister, but now I've got a new compressor and I want to blow em' out and remove the 'problem'... what do I need to do? Anyone got any pictures?

Old 03-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

EVAP is not the problem. The anti siphon ball in the filler neck is stuck. 47 seconds into this video, you will see it. Take the steel filler tube loose from the rubber line at the tank, and remove the ball.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:41 PM
Beginning Member

I do plan on checking that ball at the same time since it seems a bit easier to do than the lines, but I have some good reasons to suspect the canister and lines.

The line I removed from the charcoal canister was damp with gas, the canister its self had a strong smell of gas, when fueling the filler HISSES loudly with air escaping up the same hole the gas is going in, sometimes with a spray of gas coming out with it as if air is fighting to come up the filler neck as the gas is going in, and I have an emissions non-ready code in relation to the evap system as well after 2 tanks of gas.

I just need to know which end to blow in for the lines to do it proper and any other info so as not to cause any more damage than is already present :C I want to check they're clear with compressed air to be /certain/ and make no assumption that they're clear then have to go right back under the truck, its a lot of time for me :/ I'm a ****ty mechanic

Old 03-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The canister is designed to handle fuel vapor only. If liquid fuel enters the canister, (damp, as you found it) it must be replaced, there is no "fix". The only way liquid fuel can enter the canister, is if the fuel tank is over filled, or the vehicle is rolled over.

Don't use compressed air in the EVAP lines. It will destroy the canister, the purge solenoid on the engine, vent solenoid, and the fittings on the tank, and possibly blow the lines apart. The system is designed to operate under 2psi. If you feel the lines are restricted, (doubtful) completely disconnect the lines from each of those items first.

Raw fuel exiting the filler neck while refueling is caused by the anti siphon ball being stuck. The fuel can't get past the ball and it has nowhere to go except up and out the filler neck. Repair or remove the ball.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Beginning Member

Correct, as stated previously, I plan on replacing it, however if any charcoal exited the canister and became lodged in the lines due to its contamination, I will want to blow the lines clear of the obstructions.

That's all I need to know I think, Just need to find both ends, remove, and give it a go!

Old 03-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Beginning Member

I am on hour /4/ of trying to get the fuel filler hose off of the gas tank, I bought a set of hose pullers, they all bent, along with a big thick flat head screw driver...

How does this thing come off, I'm bleeding all up and down my arm from fits of wriggling and pulling, the hose spins around but it won't come off the fas tank... How do you do it!?!?

Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 PM
Beginning Member

OK, one terribly bad idea that worked very well later, the hose is off.

.... So, the anti siphon valve is on the gas tank, how do I remove /that/?

I've taken apart every single little thing from taking the neck out and looking through it with a light, all the way to having the hose off the gas tank, there is no ball anywhere what so ever, there is just a spring loaded door I can feel with my fingers that seems to be working fine on the inside of the gas tank, what am I missing... Remember, this is a 2003 4 door 4x4

Last edited by Xipher; 03-28-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:08 PM

When it is assembled, the three "fingers" push in and it snaps into place, so you'll need to grab it with needle nose and yank it out.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Beginning Member

Now sure I follow, the valve looks like its sonicwelded to the tank.

Are you saying the metal shutter inside can be grabbed and pulled out?

Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 PM

Should be able to grab the plastic fingers and yank it out. Can you post a pic?

Quick Reply: Blocked Up Evap Lines