2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blower stopped working.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:28 AM
deadmanet is on a distinguished road
Default Blower stopped working.

*edit* Guess I could have mentioned it was the heater blower. :P

Hey guys, I looked/searched and found the possible causes.(There where plenty to choose from) So I know the steps I need to go through to find the issue, but I have a small question for you guys, as my mechanical knowledge is limited.

Checked fuses, good.
Went to check the connections at the motor itself, and came across something interesting. I have the purple and black wires coming off the connecter, but look like they lead back to the resistor. But there is also a brown wire that is not attached to anything. And I can't see a place for it to plug into either.

And I unfortunately don't have a multimeter at the moment, so I can't tell if it is live or not. And I can't say for sure that it was connected before the issue. Any ideas on what it is? Pic below.

Last edited by deadmanet; 12-12-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't get too hung up on that brown wire. Without investigating, I can't say for sure what it is for, but if there is nothing around it for it to plug into, it likely doesn't have anything to do with the blower motor.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:22 PM

I didn't think so, but since the gang around here knows just about everything, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Unfortunately it's been snowing non-stop since I got home from work this morning, and it's around 5 degrees outside, so I haven't had a chance to really dig into the issue.

Thanks for the response, as soon as I get a chance to start messing with it again, I'll keep y'all updated. Just stinks as it's my daily driver and no heat, means no driving due to windshield foggin up.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Starting Member
ekoop70 is on a distinguished road

I have similar problem... Where is the fuse located?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fuse box?? If you want more detailed information, you are going to have to give us some first... Vehicle info at a bare minimum...

Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 PM

Ok, after going thru the usual steps, fuses, testing power at the motor, and all electrical spots, I'm pretty sure the motor is bad. But, haven't had the time to yank it out for one, and two don't have the extra 20 bucks or so until next week.

However, I ran across a post in another thread(didn't want to hijack their thread), and was curious about something. Reminder: My mechanical knowledge is very limited.

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
i had this problem too, connection gets corroded or loose. mine would cut out on bumps...just find the wires "happy place" and secure it till you can fix it "right". try zip ties. maybe clean the leads...be careful housing plastic can get touchy and crack...my big mistake.
*Bold mine* Why is that such a big mistake? Mine was already cracking and breaking apart, would barely touch it and pieces would break off. I take it I'm going to have to find the replacement for that piece too?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 AM

Funny update:

A friend of mine at work, decided he wanted to take a look at the blazer. Even though he didn't do anything different than what I did, now all of sudden I have heat again.

Question: He said it's possible that the recent moisture from the rain/snow could have caused issues. Which kind of sounds right as the first time it happened we had some seriouse rain(first heavy rain since I got the Blazer). Is it possible that could have been what happened? Or the cold? It was actually kinda warm this morning too.(Above freezing)

I'll keep an eye on it the next few days and see what happens. If anything else happens, I'll let ya'll know.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Default And here we go again

Figured I'd restart my old thread instead of making a new one....No heat again. So, I replaced my motor finally, yet still no heat. Do the two lights(see pic) being lit up now mean anything? I've tried searching, but not able to find anything.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:44 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

What controls DO work? Can you operate the air delivery? def, vents, floor

The indications there suggest a logic problem.. IOW, replace control box.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 AM

No controls work. A buddy of mine thinks it's the A/C Electric Temperature and Motor Control Module. I hope not, that's one expensive part. Any way to test that part to see if it's actually working? I know it has power coming to it and from it, but not sure if that means anything.

*edit* And btw, I did figure out where the brown wire goes. Looks like the blower motor was replaced in the past, wasn't a factory motor, and the cover had already been cut. Got a factory blower motor from a pullapart, and it had the brown wire attached to it. The one on my blazer didn't have a connection for it.

Last edited by deadmanet; 10-27-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Blower stopped working.