2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blowing a fuse (gages) but no answer why

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Concerned is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blowing a fuse (gages) but no answer why

I posted on here a while back and you were all very helpful, so I thought I'd ask you about my fuse problem.

I started up my 1997 chevy blazer and drove about a 1/2 mile and notice most of my gauges were not working. I pulled over and changed the #4 fuse and they all worked fine. A week past and I was out of town and I blew the fuse again. I pulled over and replace the fuse and it blew it right away. Not knowing any better I though I would just drive it home and take it in and have it looked at. Unfortunately it drained my battery and left me stranted. I got it to a local service station and they looked at the vehicle to see what ran off that #4 fuse. They said it would be one of three things. They tried the first two and that wasn't the problem and they said it had to be the dash. They put a used dash in and it ran fine. THe mechanic kept it for a few days to make sure everything was okay.

I drove it for about a week and no problems. Than one day last week I went about a 1/4 mile and had to put it into 4 wheel drive. We got a lot of rain the night before and the roads were very muddy; you vehicle sunk right into the mud. Most of the gages stopped working. I turned around and went back to the house and checked the fuse and it was blown. I put in a new fuse and when I took it out of 4 wheel drive into 2 wheel drive I immediately blew the fuse.

I left it in 2 wheel drive and took it in to be services. They looked at and they couldn't find anything wrong. I told them to check all the wiring and they said it was fine.

Has this happen to anyone else? Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to go get it and be stranted along the highway. I don't live in a town but out in the middle of no where. Thank you!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fuse 4 feeds the cluster (you know this already) as well as the TCCM, 4wd selector switch in the dash, and the front axle engagement switch (electronic switch located in the where the front axle engagement cable mounts to the front axle). It is possible that any one of these components is drawing too much amperage and causing the fuse to blow.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Concerned is an unknown quantity at this point

They told me they thought one of the components might be drawing to much amp, but it doesn't seem to be the problem. They drove it yesterday in the rain, and again today, but the fuse won't blow : {

Any other suggestions?? Thanks!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to find each component on the circuit and disconnect them. Plug them each in individually while monitoring the amp draw. It is possible that it is a fluke occurrence. Aren't electrical problems fun!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

97 has a known problem with faulty ignition switches. 96, 97 & 98 all use different switches, the 97 has a problem, and they're not interchangeable.