2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brake control wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009 | 11:29 AM
|
Beginning Member
masher is on a distinguished road
Default brake control wiring question

My 2002 blazer(bought new) has the factroy wiring going to rear bumper,and it seems to go direct into the fuse relay box under the hood(looses the wht and picks up a gray somewhere).
All the fuses for trailer are in place, and when I meter the blue at the rear I get voltage when I hit the brakes, and the green is wired for reverse lights also at the rear.
I bought a podigy brake controller for my pop up trailer and I'm trying to wire it up.
I don't think I have the factory connection under the dash for the direct plug in harness provided by tekonsha for 1999-2002 gm vehicles.
I took all the panels off and all I found was a flat 7 connector with a blk,grn/bk,yl,gray,grn/wh,rd,bl in that order,with a jumper accross the yl,and grn wh.All the wires are a really light gauge.
Any ideas on how to wire this thing up?, or any suggestions.
It seems like an easy job, but I'm kind of stuck right now.

Old 03-16-2009 | 01:10 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You need to tap/splice into the brake switch off of the brake pedal. It has been a few years since I installed mine and don't remember which wire you need to splice into. Kind of tight confines but doable.

Old 03-16-2009 | 11:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The wiring should all be there, but of all of the ones I have seen, nothing is a direct plug-n-play. It is coiled up and taped to some other wiring and will require you to strip and connect up to whatever wiring came with the brake controller.

The wiring under the dash can be hard to see, but drop the lower hush panel off from the underside of the driver side dash and poke around. You should find it. The wire colors should be detailed in your owner's manual.

Old 03-16-2009 | 02:45 PM
|
Beginning Member

Thanks guys,I'll look again if you think it's there.
I went to a chevrolet today, and they told me I'd be better off going to a hitch place.
I'd hate to pay the hitch shop 85.00 an hr to splice 4 wires that are hanging under a panel, but If I can't find them I'll have to bite the bullet.
The service guy at chevy told me the hitch shop will probably use a bypass anyway,and run new wires throughout.
I would have liked to use the factory since it's wired into the fuse box.
Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2009 | 02:49 PM
Mammys Car is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trailer harness

My 2000 Blazer had the bundled wires under the driver's side rear tied to the frame. It was confusing at first because it seemed not all wiring was there. Stripping off some more tape revealed that some of the leads were shorter than the others, but they were all there at the back of the Blazer.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-16-2009 | 04:53 PM
|
Beginning Member

Thanks mammy,that part I have figured out.
I took all the panels off again and gave it a good look over, I removed tape,separated wires, and poked around some more, but I just can't find the wires coming from the fuse relay box to hook up to the brake control unit itself.
I just hate the fact that it is all wired up, and I just cant find the wires anywhere.
Do these wires have any connectors on the ends?,I'm guessing they just come taped up in a group along with the rest of the wires no connectors.
Could they be under the carpet?,or on the passenger side.
Could they still be in the engine compartment under some tape?.

Old 03-16-2009 | 10:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

In my old 2000 Bravada, they were over the parking brake pedal assembly near the firewall. If I remember correctly, they had a rather large piece of blue tape on them.