2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Beginning Member
C210M is on a distinguished road

I was thinking that might be my next move. Thanks for that suggestion. Where is that fuse located? inside or under the hood?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Could be a leaky solenoid problem in the EBCM but it also sounds like it could be a bad power brake booster. Unplug the vacuum line at the booster and plug the line with a bolt etc. Drive it, but be aware, you will have no power assist so you'll need to apply considerably more pressure to the pedal to stop the vehicle. Other than needing more pressure, and pedal height being lower, it should stop smoothly without the pedal sinking to the floor. Post your results.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Beginning Member
madblazerowner is on a distinguished road

Having the same issue was told it was a bad bpmv located under the ecbm

Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Beginning Member

The symptom is very consistent. It seems that the distant traveled and time is the same. Only driving to and from work. The brakes start to drag at the same point and time. I pulled the ABS fuse and there is no change. So what did you do MadBlazer, does the bpmv come with the ebcm, the price I got quoted for the ebcm was about $600.00. I will try your suggestion Captain Hook, the pedal only goes way down on a cold start, like first thing in the morning. It seems to have something to do with the vehicle warming up. After parking the car the brakes hold the car in place, no rolling, after about an hour and a half the vehicle will roll.

Last edited by C210M; 03-26-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: more information
Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Beginning Member
madblazerowner is on a distinguished road

Well changed both yesterday and still having same problem.....have replaced hubs hoses calipers master cylinder speed sensors rotors now abs still hasnt fixed my problem...time to say good bye and go get something else

Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

my money is on the booster, try plugging the vac line like previously mentioned and drive it

Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I think we have two manifestations of the same problem..
Madblazer's is the clearest description .. https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...-rotors-69423/

But I'm going to suggest they are the same.

Originally Posted by madblazerowner
Thouggt master was nit releasing so hasbeen replaced twice now
Originally Posted by pettyfog
Logically the only thing I can think of would be the pin out of the booster is too long {compared to Master cyl piston position}

If there's an adjustment on the end of the pin, turn it in 2 turns, to shorten it and see what happens. Pedal at brake engagement will drop, of course.
If you want to understand the dynamics, here.. read and understand this brake training document.
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake05.pdf
I know most folks dont want to be mechanics but you would be surprised how handy it is going forward.
Most hack professional mechanics dont even bother with this and it's critical.
And btw.. this might be for Lexus but it's universal in principle.
Example:
Is there a gasket on the seating faces now?
Was there a gasket on the original configuration?
What is a possible result of eliminating the gasket?
Originally Posted by madblazerowner
Do the front brakes usually get hot
It's not unusual for them to be too hot to hold your fingers on the rotor when braking from highway speed. But you should be able to touch the calipers without burning them.
..we've established they are overheating. Now we're trying to figure out why. ..
Pull the the master cyl away from the booster, turn the adjustment screw/bolt in two turns to shorten the engagement rod. See what happens....
Now.. this is the last time I'm posting this. Go get second and third opinions, sooner or later it will come down to checking that pin length.
Everything you need to know on the whys and wherefor's is in the link.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Beginning Member

Okay, awesome brake booster article, I wish I was a mechanic. I had a mechanic look at my truck and do a diagnosis. He said it was front calipers not releasing. R&R front brake calipers and new front pads. Seemed to be better but the brakes are still dragging when warmed up (10 minutes, 5-6 miles). My mechanic said it is the front brakes not releasing. Taking it back tomorrow. I wonder if the check valve is going bad. Excessive boost pressure after the truck gets warmed up, the pedal does not go down as far as before new calipers when cold.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

just food for thought, but here is a similar situation with an envoy (different animal same situation) Front Brakes - Start out fine and then start dragging [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by C210M
Okay, awesome brake booster article, I wish I was a mechanic. I had a mechanic look at my truck and do a diagnosis. He said it was front calipers not releasing. R&R front brake calipers and new front pads. Seemed to be better but the brakes are still dragging when warmed up (10 minutes, 5-6 miles). My mechanic said it is the front brakes not releasing. Taking it back tomorrow. I wonder if the check valve is going bad. Excessive boost pressure after the truck gets warmed up, the pedal does not go down as far as before new calipers when cold.
Originally Posted by coolasice
just food for thought, but here is a similar situation with an envoy (different animal same situation) Front Brakes - Start out fine and then start dragging [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum
Please remind your mechanic about how you used to have to check/adjust the pin extension length and why

Quick Reply: Brake Issue