2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Brake lines coming from ABS to front brakes replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Starting Member
Bobby_Lee is on a distinguished road
Question Brake lines coming from ABS to front brakes replacement

Good morning all. I'm new to the Blazer (1997 4WD automatic) world but it seems I'm getting to know some of it pretty quick. Here's my story and question. My brakes went to the floor yesterday and I almost took out myself and the car in front of me but was lucky. Turns out my driver side front steel brake line coming from the ABS pump rusted through. Alright I decide to remove the driver side and the passenger side as well (because of the rust it had too) I see that on the driver side at the ABS the nut is a different size on the line than the brake side. And the passenger side line has the same size nut at both ends. My question is: Aside from literally making the brake line (I've made my own clutch line on my '74 Datsun 260Z when I went from automatic to a 5 speed) is this something I can get at auto zone or can I get it at the Chevy dealership? Does anyone know what the two different sizes are if I need to build my own? And, yes I've heard about the pain in the a__ bleed with the ABS. I can't wait
Thanks ahead of time!!
Bobby

Last edited by Bobby_Lee; 04-03-2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Put in year of Blazer
Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the line itself should be 3/16th line. but for whatever reason every car manufactuer has to put a weird fitting onto their abs and proportioning vavle.

i run alot of brake lines at work and my technique is basically take that line off the abs and just cut it and reflare it on the cut end with your common standard thread 3/16th fittings like you buy at the store then just buy a connector you can screw a new brake line into.

so basically your just making that line coming off the abs into like a 8 inch brake line then you can screw your new brake line into that.

if that line is trashed up by the abs you can kinda do the same thing, just save that fitting and slide it onto a new brake line then reflare it