2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Brakes Drop Out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brakes Drop Out!!!

Ok, so I have determined this problem is new and I believe it is unrelated to my previous issues, as they seem to have resolved themselvs.

however, on my way home yesterday I was in the middle of braking as I was comming off the freeway when my brake pedal droped out and I had to swerve and reapply the brakes to stop. SCARY!!!! No ABS lights no nothing! So today on the way to school theye did not drop out however theye really felt like theye were on the virge of doing it again.

its kinda like I push reall hard to the point that it just gives out. when this happens BOTH front brakes just quit applying and I essentially "slide forward".

Help me! I know im an idiot and asking for trouble... but she is my DD and I cant NOT drive her. help!

Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you either have a master cylinder failure or a dump valve failure in the ABS pump. The master cylinder is easy enough to swap out. The ABS pump is $$$.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 PM

where is the pump?

also it seems that the brakes make a pulsing sensation against my foot during say downhill stopping.

and... now if i press the e-brake all the way down it actually causes my foot on the brake pedal to rise up?

any ideas, im broke so i need to do this j/y styles!

Old 10-29-2009, 09:01 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

does your truck have drums on the rear?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
does your truck have drums on the rear?
Yes! any ideas?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:00 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

it could be the pump, and i'm not sure how you can check these pumps.

IME, when a master fails, it usually does the same thing repeatedly (falls, then needs to be pumped to get pressure). since it's only dropped on you once (correct?), this would lead me to beleive it's the dump valve in the ABS.

like i said already, i'm not sure how you can check these pumps. i just removed the ABS pump on my '92 when it failed (it was stupidly expensive back then), but i don't think these newer trucks would function properly with all the sensors on the braking system.

any input swartlkk?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member
bob_elder is on a distinguished road

the pulsing in the pedal is the abs engaging and disengaging so to me i dont believe its the abs pump. most likely a master cylinder prob. when u hit ur brakes the abs applies ur brakes then lets off just a little then applies more pressure then off again so that to me is sayin that the abs is still operable since u get the pulsing feeling. i dont know thats just what i think

Old 10-30-2009, 09:42 PM
BF Guru

but.......if a dump valve is acting up it could be causing the "pulse" and the pedal drop.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Beginning Member
bob_elder is on a distinguished road

have u ever had ur abs lock up on ice? thats the same thing u get is the pedal poppin and pulsing. the pedal drop is loss of pressure in ur master, like when u do a brake job and lossen ur bleeder and after u tighten it back up and start the vehicle ur pedal drops to the floor and then when u pump it u get more and more pressure built back up could be a cracked hose that when pressure is built up i.e. pressing on the brakes, it opens that crack up but when u ease on the brakes there isnt enough pressure to leak and lose it thru the crack ya know? or a bleeder valve leakin maybe. i dont know this is kinda odd

Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 AM

Its more like sliding on ice than it is like bleeding the brakes (i have done both). It doesnt feel like a leak in pressure, it feels like the brakes just decide to let go. there is no pumping needed, i just have to hit em again. the thing is when the pedal falls from the top my foot swings off the pedal as it drops, so i have to lift it to reapply the brakes, hense the need to swerve in case it happens again.

Quick Reply: Brakes Drop Out!!!