2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Brakes problem. Air leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough
Default Brakes problem. Air leak?

When driving, applying the brakes, I get a sound kinda like bleeding your brakes. Or like air being pushed out a small metal tube. But I do NOT loose brake pressure. I'm a little lost. I'e stuck my head under the hood and console, so far nothing.

any ideas?

Old 06-19-2018, 09:29 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Sounds like an issue with the vacuum booster or the vac hose that feeds it. If it's a small leak just starting in the booster you may not notice a difference in the brakes until it becomes worse.

Definitely check the hose and gasket around the check valve for leaks first before replacing the booster. (Its a pain and a bit expensive....I've done too many of them on the s series. Common problem.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:56 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Ditto Chevyriders. The booster has a large vacuum hose--about 1/2 to 3/4" diam.---that on the newest S10 Blazer is 13 years old. That's 13 years of underhood heat and gas and oil vapors. It is very likely leaking and causing the noise you mentioned. Try to find an Original NOS molded hose. Good luck! But I think a regular hose from a parts store may fit. Like Chevyriders says, i understand the R & R of a brake booster is a real challenge.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:54 AM
BF Veteran

Thank you for the quick reply. I will looking mor win to after work tonight. Really hoping that's it's just a vacuum leak. Not looking forward to a booster swap.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 AM

If you do end up needing a booster I have a few tricks that make it wayyy easier I'll share

Old 06-21-2018, 06:10 AM
BF Veteran

Tried to get it resolved last night, but I couldn't find the leak still. I'm going to pull up a "blueprint" to see if I can find the hoses a little easier.

as to the problem, when applied, the brakes push back and it's like it prevents me from pushing them. I literally have to put ALL my weight to stop.

back at it after court this afternoon and hopefully I can resolve it before the trip...

Old 06-21-2018, 08:29 AM

There is only one hose. It's the hose that comes off the circled valve.

But, honestly if you've lost all vacuum boosted brakes(it sounds like you have) and it runs fine when you're not hitting the brakes- odds are it is the booster. Because that would be one massive vacuum leak.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:42 PM
BF Veteran

If I squeeze the hose, it gets worst. I took it off the manifold and the booster and the hose is good. Doesn't look 20 years old. That little plug that is in the booster. Can I pull that out? I'm a little confused on why it pushes back when i apply the brakes. But like I said, if I stand on it, it stops good

Old 06-21-2018, 05:51 PM
BF Veteran

Took that plug out and a burst of air came out, Like disconnecting an air hose from a compressor. So I'm going to assume the brake booster?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:12 PM

It's sounding like it. That plastic plug is a check valve...they can be had for like 5 bucks if you wanted to throw that at it first just to rule that out...but I'd be willing to put money on it being a bad booster. It's common on these things. I did one on my first blazer, I did 2 in my current blazer(replaced it with a defective one- grrr.) And the minnie jimmy just had one go bad(ill be replacing that for my cousin soon)

Quick Reply: Brakes problem. Air leak?