2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Brakes and serpentine belt!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
natenorrish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brakes and serpentine belt!

Hey,

About 2 months ago I bought my blazer (4.3L 4WD 1999 LT), and have had nothing but problems... I love my blazer but I hate it too... I don't want to hate it anymore! I live in the UK so getting parts iseasy, but expensive or slow.

Had problems with the brakes, pedal just went to the floor under pressure; so had the master cylinder replaced, but when it came to bleeding the brakes, realized I had to get new bleed nipples and a brake caliper. So a week later I have the parts needed and for some reason the brake pipe connection to the caliper is leaking. Any idea why this would be?

The serpentine belt problem, well it appears to be the right belt but it will not go on at all, it's just too tight. Is this normal, and is there a good way to get the thing on?

Thanks

Nate

Old 07-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Default RE: Brakes and serpentine belt!

I have a really bad feeling the bolt has been put in at an angle for the brake hose connection to the caliper. Just had a close look and the washer doesn't seem to be flush with the caliper, unless this is part of the design, which I highly doubt! If the bolt has been cross threaded, I'm guessing I'm going to need another new caliper :S I'm gutted!!!

If anyone has any information please let me know.. I appreciate any help!!

Cheers

Nate

Old 07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yah it sounds cross threaded im not sure if you will need to replace it you may be able to take it out and put it in correct.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the reply portcqb!

Could you please take a look at the pics here:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/norris...29068965425538

These are the best I could do, was raining at the time (what can you expect being England!!) you can just see what I'm talking about I think! Not the best pics :S

Old 07-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is difficult to be able to tell from those pictures if the bolt is cross threaded. You should be able to easily tell by removing the banjo bolt though... You should see the threads messed up if you cross threaded it.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks for your reply... I realized this after taking the pics but will have to remove them tomorrow. Another hunch is that my friend (the mechanic) may have unscrewed the bolt after putting it on tight, then tightening it up after. From what I understand of the washers, they are crush washers, so could it be that these are now screwed? Guessing that as soon as they have been crushed for a snug fit, you can't get that fit again.

At least I had some good news today, I replaced the hood latch and now it shuts properly

Old 07-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Starting Member
if6was9 is an unknown quantity at this point

G'day, when you tried to install the serp belt, did you relieve the tension on the idler pulley?

On the brake hose, did you use new crush washers and torque to the proper spec?

Old 07-06-2008, 07:29 AM

hey if6was9,

I'm afraid I'm a total newbie when it comes to engines, my friend is the mechanic (but an apprentice!!). All I know is, he pulled something up toslacken the old belt to take it off, and whilst in that position we both tried putting the new belt on.

They werenew crush washers, but he used the old banjo bolt. He said it was rounding off so I think it's a case of ordering 2 new washers and a banjo bolt. As for torque, no idea but most likely not due to the condition of the bolt. Just incase my friend doesn't know, how do you torque the bolt to the proper spec, and do you know what the right torque is?

Many thanks!

Nate

Old 07-12-2008, 10:46 AM

Woohoo today is a happy day finally the brakes are connected properly and no more leaks! however, one problem still remains although we are not sure it is a problem anymore. As I am in the UK, we have to have an MOT certificate before being able to drive it legally and also road tax [:@]... so they failed my blazer because the brake went to the floor with hardly any effort... is this a problem? When the ignition is off, the brake pedal is nice and firm.

The brakes seem to work fine, but haven't had a chance to test the ABS.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Starting Member
if6was9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I forgot about ya Nate. See ya got it solved. In the future 32 foot lbs torque for the front banjo bolt. Do a compleat system bleed. The brake pedal shold only travel 'bout 2" (50mm). Keep'er rollin'.

Quick Reply: Brakes and serpentine belt!