2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brakes squealing again

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Beginning Member
shablaze is on a distinguished road
Default brakes squealing again

What the heck? Got O'reilly's top pads on about a month or so ago and OMG, back to the same noisy annoying crap. Is there some other pads I can get somewhere else? It drives me crazy!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:25 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Did you break the pads in properly?
How about a close pic of your rotor?

And were the ends of the pads beveled?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Did you grease the caliper slide pins and clean up and grease the metal clips the pads travel on?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Rotors must be machined or replaced when replacing pads, if you want them to be quiet. The surface of used rotors is too smooth for the new pads to properly seat and remain quiet. Without a new surface, the new pads will overheat trying to seat, that's what causes the squeal. Once they overheat, throw 'em out, you'll never get 'em to shut up. Make sure you clean the rust from the caliper brackets where the shims attach, and add a dab of brake lubricant to the shims so the pads slide easily in the shims. A couple of hard stops, not panic stops, from 50mph to 20mph is all they need to seat. As pettyfog mentioned, good quality pads are slotted and chamferred.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Beginning Member

Guys, you may as well speak greek to me, lol! This mamma is not mechanically inclined at all and no rotor pic but this is what I do know... I was told that the rotors were not bad but were turned when the pads were changed and grease was used. An ex of mine assisted my 17 yr old son with the job. I've had other vehicles with the same issues in the past and I know this sounds crazy but after changing them several times I finally gave up and went pay an arm and a leg at brake check and had no more issue. I don't have the funds to do that currently. Should I just try some different pads?

Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 AM
BF Veteran

Not to be pissy or anything, seriously! Why are you doing the asking when it's not you doing the work? It's hard enough to communicate some things, worse when it's third party.

Most folks dont know why brakes squeal and a fix is like 'magic'. The usual cause though is a vibration of high speed chatter caused by the pads shifting back and forth in the caliper frame. They grab the rotor cant go far, release alla sudden, snap back then start all over again.

Still greek? Well, in the past, that grease {I assume you meant that applied to the backs of pads} usually worked but often didnt.

Two things help: A solid metal or high temp fiber applique on the back of pad.
Beveled leading edges on pad face.

O'Reilly high end pads should have had both. Course we only have third hand info they are the high end pads.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-31-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Provided they were turned, and lube was used, try an different brand of pad. Advance Wearever gold pads are quiet, low dust, and get exceptional mileage. Customer brought me a set to put on his vehicle with 52K miles, now has 145K and just did them again, almost twice the mileage of OEM pads. He said he had no problems with them. You might want to rough up the rotor surfaces with sandpaper before installing them though.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Beginning Member

Well, thanks for all the information.

BTW, I ask b/c I am a single mother that needs advice so I can relay to my son to do the work. Since we are on our own, I turn to the knowledgeable folks of BF for guidance, solutions, and/or advice. There are no crabby old bastards here to assist us so I turn to you all for info.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:21 PM
BF Veteran

Here's the point.. remember the 'telephone' game? WHY do you HAVE to relay it?
Remember there's a big difference between a messenger and an interpreter.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Beginning Member

I think from now on we may just figure out our issues on our own. I come her for help and would prefer not to get attitude or un necessary rudeness. Thanks to those of you that gave useful information.

Quick Reply: brakes squealing again