2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bravada Start problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 AM
FoxTrota is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bravada Start problems

Ok when i first got my Bravada my friend tried to start it after it was sitting for a year, it didn't turn over and the starter finally died. When i got it back to my house i replaced the starter, but it doesn't even make an attempt to crank. I tested the starter and there is power going to it, but it won't even try to engage when the ignition it turned. Any ideas?

Could it have anything to do with the remote keyless entry system?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So it turned over with the old starter, but does not with the new one? Have you charged/changed the battery? If you did not charge or change the battery, I would have done that before installing a new starter...

When you checked that the starter is getting power, did you make sure that it was getting power on both the main power cable (thick) as well as the solenoid power wire (thin). The thin wire will be powered only when the key is in the START position.

Did you bench test the new starter before you put it in? Can you bench test the old one to see if it really was bad?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:24 PM

hmm, ill try to bench test it in the next few days, the battery has been fully recharged.
The old starter eventually stopped working after he tried starting it a bunch of times.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:34 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

It's VERY possible the old starter quit working because the battery died. Did you check the battery before pulling the starter? It's also possible that you legitimatley fried your starter depending on how often you were running it and how long of a break you kept giving it.

If you have a fluke, try putting it on your battery. Your battery should read at 13-14volts(no less than 12 though). I'm assuming it does since you said you took care of the battery. Anyways, keep the fluke attached to the battery, and then crank the engine. If the battery drops more than 3v's, then your CCA's is shot on the battery. It is possible to get a good voltage reading on a bad battery-that's why you should try this test. If you don't have a fluke, you can go to most auto-shops and they should be able to help you.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:35 PM

When the first attempt to start it it was made we were jumping it using my Blazer, the battery in the Bravada was dead and my friend Charged it a week later and now its fully charged. Even now it doesn't attempt to crank.

All i hear is the relay clicking from the fuse box. I was curious if it had anything to do with the security system, my moms Sable won't start if you don't click the unlock button on the Keyless entry twice, it does exactly what the Bravada is doing.

So im thinking the security system disabled the starter. I'm just waiting to get the new clicker.

Could it be the security system?

Old 04-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The security system disables the fuel pump, not the starter.

Have you monitored the voltage at the main starter post with a multimeter while you attempt to start the truck? Have you verified that the proper voltage is going to the starter solenoid to energize it, thereby allowing power to the starter motor?