2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

break noice

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Beginning Member
wolves0309 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default break noice

hi everyone

i just bought a 2000 jimmy 4x4,
when i do a hard break the break pedal vibrates and kinda sounds like a cow moo-ing
now it just got safety on friday and was told it didnt need much for a safety but it did get new break lines

now my question is; it just disc breaks that this happens to or is there possibly something wrong?

Old 12-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: break noice

That sounds like your ABS is activating. Are the conditions slippery when this happens or are you on clean, dry pavement?

Old 12-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Beginning Member

thank you for a quick reply
the conditions are lots of snow
so you think that this is common for disc breaks and abs together?
i had abs on my last vechile but it didnt have disc breaks

Old 12-16-2007, 04:07 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

What you are experiencing is normal. No problems.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

dose it feel like breaking glass as my drivers ed teacher use to say

Old 12-16-2007, 04:43 PM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

The ABS does have a mooing sound to it, haha. It's very annoying, and mine kick in all the time. They usually kick in when I brake on a bumpy or rocky road. Today the roads were slushy and they were kicking in. Not that they did much, I still would've hit anyone infront of me.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you all for your replys
good to here its normal.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

well wat abs is prevent the wheels from locking up, which is why in some cars, like a jeep wrangler you have to pump the breaks, becasue if the wheeels do lock up the car will stay going in wat ever direction it is heading no matter where the wheel is turned, so if u didnt have abs and you slammed the brakes behind him you would slide right into him even if you turned and tried to avoid it

Old 12-16-2007, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

When the tires lock up you lose traction. No traction means you will go in the smae general direction of travel, momentum will carry you until you finally slide to a stop.

Back in teh old days you were taught to pump the brakes, well too many idiots paniced and just pushed harder ont he brakes. The closer they got to an accident the harder they pushed, which just made things worse. The manufacutres came out with ABS (automatic braking system) to pump the brake for you.

Also if you turn the front tires too much you can break traction and lose controll. When driving on snow and ice, make slow gradual adjustments to your speed, and change of direction of travel.

Drive defensively, be safe and arrive safe.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:16 PM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Going as slow as possible and turning as slow and little as possible, I still slide a lot. Sometimes weight just takes over any technique you try, and you just slide. I was pumping my brakes today like people say to do, but a natural reaction when you're sliding is to brake harder, which of course is the worst possible thing to do. The only way you'll get traction is if your tires are spinning.

Quick Reply: break noice