2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Broken bolt - Exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 02:09 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Broken bolt - Exhaust pipe

Hey Everyone. Well it seems I keep finding more rust damage on this truck. The body and frame are still ok, but smaller stuff is starting to fail. A couple days ago I found a nut with the end of a bolt under the frame rail and started checking around. I found that one of the bolts broke off on the exhaust pipe where it connects to the muffler. It seems that I have a nice exhaust leak now since I can hear/smell it under the truck. What size are these bolts and is it simply a matter of removing the broken bolt (or what is left of it for that matter) and installing a new one or is it alot more complicated than that? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Broken bolt - Exhaust pipe-20140716_150234.jpg   Broken bolt - Exhaust pipe-20140716_150308.jpg  
Old 07-19-2014, 07:22 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Yep...just a matter of putting a new bolt, lock washer, nut. Nothing fancy here...probably a 5/16 or 3/8 bolt or 10mm. I suggest replacing all three of them and getting a new gasket between the flanges.

Use a breaker bar and some muscle to break the other two bolts. There should be enough play or slack to be able to get the old gasket out and new on in. Replace bolts and call it done and on to the next task.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:22 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

surprised those arent studs but yeah just break off the other one too they dont look very strong. ive seen people use c-clamps to repair just one broken stud due to them not wanting to remove the stud

Old 08-03-2014, 02:00 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Well I tried. Looks like this is going to be harder than we thought..... The bolt is practically melted to the flange rounded off and nothing is removing it. What are my options now? New muffler?

Attached Thumbnails Broken bolt - Exhaust pipe-20140720_190547.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

usually at work we just heat up the flange red hot and one little zap with the air hammer will knock them old bolts/studs right out

can grind them flat and drill them out if youre really up for a boring time

Old 08-10-2014, 07:27 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

As far as I know a new muffler is not going to have the three bolt triangular flange with it. Time for a die grinder or Dremel tool to remove the welds.

And I happen to have, at least I think I still have it, a new unused three bolt triangular flange that I got for my '95 Blazer but never used it, it is yours for the shipping cost. There are no bolts welded to it, just holes. If you want a picture of it, send me an email: deanvette@comcast.net.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:50 AM
JoePublicVA is on a distinguished road
Default Broken bolt or warped flange

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
Hey Everyone. Well it seems I keep finding more rust damage on this truck. The body and frame are still ok, but smaller stuff is starting to fail. A couple days ago I found a nut with the end of a bolt under the frame rail and started checking around. I found that one of the bolts broke off on the exhaust pipe where it connects to the muffler. It seems that I have a nice exhaust leak now since I can hear/smell it under the truck. What size are these bolts and is it simply a matter of removing the broken bolt (or what is left of it for that matter) and installing a new one or is it alot more complicated than that? Thanks
That broken bolt is indicating unusal pulling forces on the exhaust system (absent someone over-tightening that bolt). I would check to ensure theres enough flex in the exhaust line as the engine does want to move around its mount and expect every attachment to follow. Check for hanging exhaust mounts or hangers that allow for expansion and contraction of the exhaust system. As for warping flanges, Ive been sharing my fix for that. After many hours in my basement to solve my failing state inpections I create a fix. C Flange Bracket. No cutting. No welding. Fits behind or replaces existing flange. Im looking for support or opinions. Plz comment.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:02 PM
JoePublicVA is on a distinguished road
Default Better late than later or never to fix a flange

[QUOTE=ComputerNerdBD;631945]Well I tried. Looks like this is going to be harder than we thought..... The bolt is practically melted to the flange rounded off and nothing is removing it. What are my options now? New muffler?[/QUOTE

Grind bolt end flat and try to punch. If you hav a torch try heating. if that falis and you can replace the gasket then you might want to counter-arrange or offset one of my fixes. First ensure the flange is flat. Next is to notch between the bolt holes to allow passage of the offset bolt placement of the C Flange Bracket. The function is still the same whether in-line with existing holes of flanges or positioned offset (about 60 degree displacement). Ive been sharing my fix for warping flanges. After many hours in my basement to solve my failing state inpections I create a fix. C Flange Bracket. No cutting. No welding. Fits behind or replaces existing flange. Im looking for support or opinions. Plz comment.

Last edited by JoePublicVA; 01-29-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: heading typo
Old 01-29-2018, 12:33 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
Just cut off the studs or break them by turning the nuts and get a new muffler and tailpipe. Correct replacement muffler should come with the flange and studs. Easy peasy and done. Seriously!

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-29-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:13 AM
puttster is on a distinguished road

$5 at Harbor Freight and 5 minutes under the car... this exhaust leak repair lasted me for years.

Attached Thumbnails Broken bolt - Exhaust pipe-exhaust_clamp.jpg  

Quick Reply: Broken bolt - Exhaust pipe