2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Broken Rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 07:24 AM
Beginning Member
Okamiwilks is on a distinguished road

Its just you're standard white 01 Jimmy SLT nothing special. It doesn't do so hot on straightaways but in the corners it does well. The only fear I have is that fact its so top heavy I am always concerned I will flip the thing

Old 04-21-2019, 08:18 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Wait, what?

You're saying your Jimmy does good in corners? What have you done to the suspension? Lowered it, performance springs, and shocks? Heavier sway bars? What kind of tires?

I mean, maybe compared to full size trucks and suvs it handles OK, but my cheap, old Cobalt handles light years better than my blazer

Now, that's not to say that with enough money and time, you can't get a blazer/Jimmy to handle decent. But not in stock form

Old 04-21-2019, 08:49 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

I'd assess the damage. Maybe a chance it could be fixed at a lower efforts than swapping? What else got damaged apart of the rod?

Old 04-21-2019, 02:04 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

How do you know the rod broke? Have you taken it apart and inspected it? It doesn't seem to me like you could continue to drive it at 45MPH with a broken rod. Every broken rod I've seen (which is quite a few) has windowed the block and/or tried to exit the side of the oil pan. Is there any chance it's just a spun bearing? That could happen for lots of reasons, including an intake manifold leak.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:03 PM
Beginning Member

You're saying your Jimmy does good in corners? What have you done to the suspension? Lowered it, performance springs, and shocks? Heavier sway bars? What kind of tires?
It take some time to learn and my dad has taught me all his tricks. I have some slightly bigger all terrain tires on it. It hard to describe how to corner with it. Its a big weight game when it comes to the corners like with most cars. I can try to got more into depth on it but it might take some time to collect my thoughts.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
How do you know the rod broke? Have you taken it apart and inspected it? It doesn't seem to me like you could continue to drive it at 45MPH with a broken rod. Every broken rod I've seen (which is quite a few) has windowed the block and/or tried to exit the side of the oil pan. Is there any chance it's just a spun bearing? That could happen for lots of reasons, including an intake manifold leak.
I dunno man I just took it to my uncle whos a mechanic. The second he heard the knock he said he claimed it was a rod. I understand the mechanics of a car but in all honesty I am really bad at working on them. So I just trusted his opinion
Edit: Just learned I spun a bearing but my uncle doesn't want to rebuild he just wanted to drop a new engine in

Last edited by Okamiwilks; 04-21-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:55 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

An engine that is still running with a broken connecting rod? It’s possible if it broke. In the right place at the right time but that’s usually a pretty violent event. Did the mechanic drop the oil pan and look, pull the heads, check compression etc or just listen to a running engine?

i agree with Mike, there may be other options if the failure is limited and the engine is otherwise worthy of repair.

it may come down to labor cost and capability though. If a good replacement engine is available and engine swapping is a core talent then maybe that’s the play

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 04-22-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
there may be other options if the failure is limited and the engine is otherwise worthy of repair.
There is a chance, the mechanic is limited and it's more convenient for him to swap then carry out the repair....

Old 04-22-2019, 09:02 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
There is a chance, the mechanic is limited and it's more convenient for him to swap then carry out the repair....
Mike

i was editing my post to say the same thing as you were typing. I am after all of Polish decent so like minds ...

George

Old 04-22-2019, 09:22 AM

LOL Fighting against the "polish jokes" stereotypes here

Quick Reply: Broken Rod