2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Brown Chunky Antifreeze???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Really? Do we have to go through this again? Switching to ethylene glycol, (green) does not cure the problem, it creates a much larger, more expensive one: Water pump failure Flush it out, clean it out, and put Dexcool in it. You're asking for trouble using ethylene glycol, and you'll get it.
That's a new one on me. My reason for wanting to switch back to "green" is it seems like it is less maintenance. Dex Cool has to be changed out and flushed pretty often, doesn't it? I suppose the green is supposed to be changed, also, but I've never seen it "sludge" up the way old Dex Cool seems to.

In the link you posted, it talked about new engine technology, with aluminum alloys being one reason new coolant was created. Are our engines built like that? I thought they were cast iron block and heads, and I assumed cooper radiators and heater cores.

I guess the difference is in the water pump seals, though, and not in the other engine seals? Anyway, I'm not trying to argue with you, just wanting to understand more before I do something that might cause problems down the road! That water pump was such a PITA to change once, I don't want to have to do it anytime soon!

Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

I can't think of any copper in our systems, the heater core and rad are aluminum.

Last edited by Diaita; 12-08-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:33 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 05BlackJimmy
Is it true that it ruins the gaskets?
No. We've been over and over this.

If this thread devolves any further into a 'Dex-Cool' thread it will be closed.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:44 PM
BLAZER97LS is on a distinguished road

Well thanks for all the advice guys. Sorry I havent replied to anything yet but I flushed the radiator today and most of it was oil.....

Is this like the beginning of the end for my blazer?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
No. We've been over and over this.

If this thread devolves any further into a 'Dex-Cool' thread it will be closed.
Sorry just trying to gain a little information, didn't realize I couldn't ask a question if its been asked before.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Exclamation Well, its Oil in the Antifreeze

So I was having some overheating issues and I decided to just flush the radiator and heating core and refill it with new antifreeze. After draining the antifreeze I got a surprise. Most of it was just oil. So my question is whats the problem? And why is there oil in my antifreeze?

I attached a picture of what the "antifreeze" looked like right after I flushed it.

Attached Thumbnails Brown Chunky Antifreeze???-v__0086.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 AM
CAB
Starting Member
CAB is on a distinguished road

The first place I would look is the engine oil to see if you also got antifreeze in your oil. If not the next place I would look is the radiator, if you have an oil cooler which is two oil lines that connect on the drivers side of the radiator. It would be an internal leak. If you do have antifreeze in the oil then I don't know where I would start to look since it would most likely be an internal engine issue probably involving the head gaskets or maybe the intake manifold. I have never experienced oil in antifreeze but have seen antifreeze in oil.

Last edited by CAB; 12-09-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 AM

Well I checked the oil and there isn't any antifreeze in it. My dad suggested that getting a separate oil cooler would solve the problem.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

A seperate oil cooler will stop the oil from contaminating the coolant BUT, the leak in the OEM oil cooler will now allow coolant to get into it. You could plug the fittings on the radiator but, these radiators have a habbit of cracking the side tanks, so you might as well fix it right and replace the radiator. Probably less expensive, and definitely less fooling around

If/when coolant contaminates the oil on this engine, the first place to look is a leaking lower intake manifold gasket, very common problem.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:56 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Combining similar threads. Please keep it all together so we can follow the progress.*

Quick Reply: Brown Chunky Antifreeze???