2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009 | 07:53 AM
|
Beginning Member
MrRox is on a distinguished road
Default A/C

What's the best and cheapest way to check my A/C? It is not blowing cold air. I saw a commercial where AAMCO will check it for free, I am leaning towards taking it there. Should I just buy a can or 2 of r-34? and a gaugr and try that? I am not mechanically inclined but I have put in freon before.

Old 04-21-2009 | 04:51 PM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

First, before throwing money into the wind, we need to make sure your A/C is cycling on.
Turn engine on, turn climate **** to A/C
Open hood, check that your a/c clutch is indeed cycling on and off.

Old 04-22-2009 | 08:52 PM
Beginning Member
2doorblazer is on a distinguished road

yes if it is cycling on an off then u r low on freon .... i would have it check if its free an c what thay say is wrong with it

Old 05-22-2009 | 05:00 PM
|
Beginning Member

Hey everyone. I went out on a limb and bought 3 cans of freon. I checked and it was out of freon. After about 1/2 way through the 1st can the compressor kicked in. By the 3rd can the air was nice and cold. It was near 90 degrees here today and I just needed to do this. Here is my dilemma, my temp gauge is almost always on the first line before 210 degrees, with the A/C on I noticed it go up to the 210 mark. I didn't want to overheat so I turmed the A/C off and rolled down the windows. How hot/cool should it be? Is this another of the many nuances the Blazers have or is it possible I need something changed/replaced so I don't overheat while running the A/C?

Old 05-22-2009 | 06:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

210 should not be a problem considering the outside temperature. You may want to see about cleaning the exterior of your radiator. Over time, bugs and other debris can plug up the fins which will decrease the cooling efficiency.

Old 05-22-2009 | 09:58 PM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrRox
Hey everyone. I went out on a limb and bought 3 cans of freon. I checked and it was out of freon. After about 1/2 way through the 1st can the compressor kicked in. By the 3rd can the air was nice and cold. It was near 90 degrees here today and I just needed to do this. Here is my dilemma, my temp gauge is almost always on the first line before 210 degrees, with the A/C on I noticed it go up to the 210 mark. I didn't want to overheat so I turmed the A/C off and rolled down the windows. How hot/cool should it be? Is this another of the many nuances the Blazers have or is it possible I need something changed/replaced so I don't overheat while running the A/C?
Get a new radiator cap, new thermostat and install both, also make sure your fan clutch is operating properly so you are getting optimal airflow through the engine, it was 90 here today and I had the air on and my truck engine temp was around 195 or so, and when getting a new thermostat get the stock 195 don't get a lower temp because it will open up too early causing the coolant not to sit in the radiator long enough to transfer heat, but my guess is you might need a new fan clutch too. My truck used to run around 210 and such till I changed all three of those items and now it runs optimal, I should also mention that I installed a severe duty fan clutch but a good standard operating one should do just fine

Old 05-22-2009 | 10:27 PM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road

Would definitely have it checked if it's free. I'm having mine checked on Monday and it's costing me $39 to do so.

Old 05-23-2009 | 07:40 AM
|
Beginning Member

Should the radiator cap be a regular cap or the "safety vent" cap? Is there a difference? Is one better than the other?

How can I tell if the fan clutch needs to be replaced or not. I have had no temp issues until running the A/C.

Old 05-23-2009 | 07:46 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by MrRox
How can I tell if the fan clutch needs to be replaced or not. I have had no temp issues until running the A/C.

safety vent cap is fine all it does is have a lever to relieve pressure so you can open the system faster insteading of having to wait for to cool down in my opinion but either or is fine , just replace the cap since if the cap is worn(the spring that keeps the pressure in the system you will not get efficient cooling)

here is how to test the fan clutch

start with this simple test: Spin the fan as hard as you can on an engine that has not been started that day. If the fan rotates more than five times, you can bet the clutch is bad you should feel some resistance if you don't your fan clutch is most likely bad and needs replacement which isn't a big job

Last edited by hkellogg; 05-23-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2009 | 01:38 PM
Starting Member

Any luck with the temp issue ?