2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C Blower control not right

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member
loppy crimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A/C Blower control not right

I just flushed and filled my coolant, and now my A/C blower is not directing the air right? There is plenty of cold air, but it will only direct it to the floor (like my heater would). There is some air coming out of the upper vents, but not much, even on high speed. When I turn the unit to the floor direction, all of the air goes to the floor. I am used to the air just blasting out of the upper vents when the A/C is on.
Help me...it's getting hot in California!!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loppy crimp
I just flushed and filled my coolant, and now my A/C blower is not directing the air right? There is plenty of cold air, but it will only direct it to the floor (like my heater would). There is some air coming out of the upper vents, but not much, even on high speed. When I turn the unit to the floor direction, all of the air goes to the floor. I am used to the air just blasting out of the upper vents when the A/C is on.
Help me...it's getting hot in California!!!!
sounds like a vacuum related problem check to make sure the line going to the vac ball is connected and in good shape, from there your problem could be the hvac actuator or even the climate control panel .....its not really an easy fix unless its vacuum related under the hood otherwise you have to start taking the dash apart...

Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Beginning Member

Where is the vacuum ball located?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loppy crimp
Where is the vacuum ball located?
Really depends on what you are driving... On the 98+, I know it is located inside the driver side fender and pretty sure that goes for the 96-97 models as well. For the 95 and earlier, it should physically be a ball shaped container under the hood. Some have it connected to the hood itself while others it is mounted down lower.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Beginning Member
Smile Vacuum Ball

Found it and yep, that was the problem. Thanks. I am COOL again!!!!!!!!1

Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it was something simple! Thanks for the follow up!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 PM
halvod is on a distinguished road
Question Pic?

Can anyone post a picture of what I would be looking for. I'm not very mechanical and would it need to be replaced or just messed with? I've had issues with mine only blowing out the dash and it only blows hot air and will not stop. I've been looking at replacing the climate control panel and the door actuator, but they are not cheap or easy to come across used for a 98 with auto.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Beginning Member
torchred04 is on a distinguished road

I have a similar issue with mine except its half face vents and half floor vents. The only one it will go to by itself is the defrost vents, but that might even have the floor blowing as well. Pretty sure it does.

I changed the dash switch, but that didn't help. I have a 97 so is the little ball vacuum cannister I need to try and check out? How many connections are on it, its not a big deal, but its something that is pissing me off for not working right.

Its makes a high pitch squeal that is not very loud when I put the vent switch on strictly the face vents. Feet and face and it goes away. If that helps any.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

The vacuum ball on the 95-97's is located on the hood. Raise the hood and look to the right side. It's a black ball, also check the one way valve located just downstream of the ball. That will valve goes bad from engine heat and will sometimes cause problems. Also check all your vacuum hoses as they are probably starting to get brittle from age and heat.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Beginning Member
torchred04 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I am wondering if its a door as I can get the vent area to change, but it never seems to stop blowing from the floor and defrost vents completely when I select the face vents.

Quick Reply: A/C Blower control not right