2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 AM
SSGuy is on a distinguished road
Default A/C Clutch

Hey folks

I just bought me a 99 Blazer LT 4WD and it´s fine so far. Car has only 76k mls.

One thing is kinda off though: everytime i push the A/C button it blinks a few times and then stays off. I´ve checked the refrigerant level on the low side and it was under 10 psi. So i´ve put in 2 cans of recharge. The compressor clutch still won´t activate. Only time it activates for like 2 secs is when i pull the 10A fuse from the fuse compartment next to the steering wheel and put it back in. I guess this is a indicator that the compressor would work. Except it doesn´t on a regular base.

What could be wrong with the f**** A/C ?

Any input or help is highly appreciated.

Martin

Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could have a bad low pressure switch. To troubleshoot, try disconnecting the switch and placing a jumper wire across the terminals.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:47 AM

I´ve just been outside and done that. I´ve disconnected the plug from the accumulator and placed a pin in the plug, connecting both wires. The compressor still won´t activate.

Did i do this tricking-the-low-pressure-thingy right?

Please help me out guys.

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-04-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Now that you have confirmed that it isn't a low pressure problem, how is the high pressure switch? You can test this switch with a multimeter. It should be normally closed except when the system pressure is above acceptable limits. You could also jumper this if you'd like, but damage to the system could result if the pressure is actually too high.

BTW, please be patient. There is no need to bump a thread after waiting just over 7 hours. The rules of the forum state to wait 24hours.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:48 AM

I´m deployed and therefore don´t have my tools at hand. I will have to go to a car care center on post (which is a PITA) or go to a german auto shop or buy some tools.

Would it be a good idea to get the car to a auto shop and to have the system evacuated and refilled? Could this be done without the compressor actually working? How much refrigerant does go in the blazer (in case a german technician doesn´t know)?

I´m sorry for being impatient before.

Oh, i´ve forgot: where is this high pressure switch anyhow?

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-05-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Factory fill from a pumped down system is 1.8lbs. The high pressure switch is located in the back of the compressor.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:20 AM

Thank you for your quick response.

Can the system be professionally evacuated and recharged by a technician without the compressor actually working. Because if the system pressure isn´t the issue then it won´t start while or after recharged.

I´m planning on going to a auto shop as soon as i got a positive from you guys.

Thanks again

Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Administrator

The compressor can be manually engaged by applying power & ground directly to the compressor clutch with the engine running.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:46 AM

A certified german technician or mechanic should know how to get a A/C evacuated and recharged, am i right?

A german friend of mine is assisting me with the language issue. I just want to know everything there is to know before taking the car to a shop.