2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C clutch won't engage at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 PM
mlonas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A/C clutch won't engage at idle

My A/C clutch won't engage unless I rev my engine. Even with the clutch cycling switch bypassed, it won't engage without revving the engine. With the cycling switch bypassed, once started, it stays engaged and the air blows cold (45 deg or so). Seems to me like the clutch is failing, but I thought I'd seek expert opinions. If the clutch is going south, is it a major deal to replace it? Can it be done with the compressor in place? Special tools? If so, I'll just have a shop do it.

I don't want to overlook anything and the one thing I haven't done is bypass the low pressure switch. Can the compressor drop out on low limit if the cycling switch is bypassed? I don't have a schematic so I don't know the circuit logic.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: A/C clutch won't engage at idle

When the clutch is engaged, does it seem to spin at the same rate as the pulley it engages on? Does it sound noisy when it engages?

What happens when you jumper the relay? Does the system perform properly?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 PM

When engaged, the clutch is quiet and seems to spin at the same rate as the pulley. I'm away from home and don't have a trouble light so I'll have to continue troubleshooting tomorrow. I'll have todig the relay pin numbers from the other posts so I can jumper it.

Something else I observed: there are streaks of what appears to be grease on the plate in front of the clutch/pulley. I don't think I can accurately describe it, so maybe I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A picture is worth 1000 words!!

Old 06-28-2008, 09:26 PM

OK, here is a pic of the streaks on the clutch (forgive the crude circles), that is if I can figure out how to attach a .jpg:

I jumpered the A/C relay and after revving the engine, the clutch engaged and did not cycle. The air blew 40 degrees and accumulator started to ice up after a few minutes. The relay that I jumpered was in the fuse box in the engine compartment and was designated "A/C" on the fuse block cover. No pin numbers on the fuse block and the schematic on the relay case indicated that pin 3 and 5 were normally open contacts. I jumpered 3 and 5. Hope the pic loads....

[IMG]local://upfiles/6591/496940DF6555411988499169586CBEE1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2008, 09:34 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

It does look like that is leaking out of the clutch. I would think there must be some viscious portion to it I know it stays on with an electromagnetic thing but I would think it has to have some viscious portion to disengage at high rpm. Is that an after market clutch on it because it doesnt look like my 97's clutch.