2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C not work

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018 | 11:56 PM
|
Starting Member
jimmy_for_ever is on a distinguished road
Angry A/C not work

Hi everybody ,

I have problem with my a/c its stopped work and I check all fuses and a/c relay all is good but when I try to jump wire in a/c relay its not kick on that mean the relay not get volt and I dont know why.

thank you

Old 04-25-2018 | 01:27 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Howdy,
How do You know the relay doesn't get engaged cause of missing power? Maybe there is the power,but it's a clutch problem? I've been extracting my AC compressor today and from what I seen there was rust all over everywhere in the clutch. I have a leaking issue, but wouldn't be surprised if mine clutch isn't working either

Old 04-25-2018 | 02:23 PM
|
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Howdy,
How do You know the relay doesn't get engaged cause of missing power? Maybe there is the power,but it's a clutch problem? I've been extracting my AC compressor today and from what I seen there was rust all over everywhere in the clutch. I have a leaking issue, but wouldn't be surprised if mine clutch isn't working either
Because when I wire the positive terminal of clutch direct to battery Its engaged and that mean he clutch is work fine

Old 04-26-2018 | 06:36 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimmy_for_ever
Because when I wire the positive terminal of clutch direct to battery Its engaged and that mean he clutch is work fine
Looks like a starting conditions may not be met... How about interior temperature sensor?

Old 04-28-2018 | 07:25 AM
LannyL81 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the AC system is low on R-134A. Even if you jumper the low pressure switch if there is no R-134A the compressor will not cycle. You stated there is a leak, so likely the problem.
Having the same problem at this time with my '02.

Old 04-30-2018 | 09:11 AM
|
Starting Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Sounds like the AC system is low on R-134A. Even if you jumper the low pressure switch if there is no R-134A the compressor will not cycle. You stated there is a leak, so likely the problem.
Having the same problem at this time with my '02.
Ok I will check the pressure today

Thank you

Old 04-30-2018 | 03:49 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Jumping the clutch and running the compressor without enough R134a will destroy your compressor very quick. The refrigerant is what lubricates it. You could throw a cheap can of R134a to see if it works. Do you know where your leak is? I know these are known for having a leak on the low pressure valve. You can get a replacement for like $15.

Old 05-01-2018 | 12:13 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

There is no 12v power available at the hot terminal for the relay contact or when you apply 12v to the relay coil the relay will not energize?

What year is it?

George

Old 05-01-2018 | 04:26 AM
|
Starting Member
Default .

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
There is no 12v power available at the hot terminal for the relay contact or when you apply 12v to the relay coil the relay will not energize?

What year is it?

George
yes no power at all only in one terminal of relay but no power come to clutch.
its 2000 gmc jimmy

Old 05-01-2018 | 08:51 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

You may have a power distribution problem to the AC compressor relay. That relay is in the underhood fuse box and has four terminals. Two of the terminals are for the relay coil that controls the relay function. The other two terminals are for the power that is being controlled by the relay contacts, in this case it's power for your compressor clutch. When the ignition switch/key is in the run position there must be 12v power to one of the relay coil terminals and 12v power to one of the relay power/contact terminals. Please confirm that you only have 12v power to one of the four relay terminals. If this is the case then we have to find the power distribution problem. If you do have 12v at two relay terminals then we will find out why your compressor clutch does not get 12v power.

Do not put a can of 134a into your system if you do not know if the refrigerant charge is low. This can damage your system or at least confuse this problem by now causing your high pressure switch to shut the system off. The refrigerant does not lubricate the system, the oil in the system lubricates the system. Very little of the oil is lost when the refrigerant charge is low. The refrigerant does help cool the compressor so it does run hotter when the charge is low and eventually there can be an oil problem if the charge is low but the compressor holds oil internally. Forcing the compressor to run for short periods to diagnose a problem should not cause any issues. Now if the system had an instant purge of the entire charge then yes a lot of the oil can be lost. The fact that a small amount of oil leaks out with the refrigerant is one of your best tools for finding a leak because the area will be slightly greasy feeling and attracting dirt.

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 05-01-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Quick Reply: A/C not work