2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:17 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A/C problems

HEy All I could use some help diagnosing my a/c problem.

A/c worked fine up until this afternoon. Now no a/c. I am pretty sure the compressor isn't kitting on. I dont think its a coolant level issue, thinking more like a switch/control device. Doesn't seem to be the dash controls, I can switch vent locations, and a/c-vent-heat selector appears to work properly.

Ideas?

I tried to search, however I got no results, try a different word. Kind of hard to try something other than a/c? SO I am guessing I dont know how to search.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For your 2000?

Disconnect the low pressure switch and place a fused (like 10A) jumper across the terminals in the plug. Then start the engine and try the A/C again. If it works and cools good, replace the low pressure switch. It is located on the large silver canister on the passenger side of the engine bay.

Also, check out the HVAC section of the summary in the Tech Article (DIY) section:
Tech Article Summary - Check Here first!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:59 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kyle, I'll give that a try.

Not sure if this means anything.
However yesterday my a/c worked fine every time I drove the truck.
On my way to work, from work to a Wedding rehersal, to the bar, dinner, home, dealer and home again. Never stubled once. Worked flawlessly.

Still think its the low pressure switch?

Thanks for the link. I like the new summary section, nice job.
I did read the 4 threads on a/c, however the first three relate to the compressor and the 4th to the door. None of them go into the controls, electircal aspect.

Last edited by Hanr3; 06-20-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That makes it a bit different... Was it cooler out yesterday that previous days where you had issues?

Old 06-26-2009, 10:27 PM
BF Veteran

No, in fact hotter.

I have been trying to break it all week. Best as I can tell the a/c stops working when it gets hot or is placed under too much load. Like hitting the go peddle going up hill, ideling too long, or start and stopping the engine at a bunch of stores during weekend shopping trips.

It works great when I am driving.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Beginning Member
pnice74 is on a distinguished road

High pressure switch, try jumping it. Your orfice tube can sometimes clog up and throw your whole system off. Or could be low on freon and the low pressure switch is not alowing the compressor to kick on. Test both high/low switches, you may want to pick up a re-charge kit with the gauge, it's nice to have in situations like this. Either way you know if your running high pressure or low on freon. Let us know what you find. It could not even be those things, something more electrical/internal. But I would start there.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Administrator

The latest description makes me think that the high pressure switch is cutting the system off. It could be a combination of things; a partially clogged orifice tube and possibly a dirty condenser up front.