2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C time again. Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:25 PM
specialty8 is on a distinguished road
Default A/C time again. Question

My 99 ZR2 a/c did not work when I bought it. PO said it worked last time he used it. I bought it back in October and it set awhile before that. Now that it's getting warm what are the chances of getting a few cans of R32 with the gauge and putting it in until the gauge says good and it working? Right now the compressor is not kicking on but it will with a jump wire on the low pressure side. Do I just start putting it in with the a/c on and keep adding until the compressor kicks in or am I just wasting my time? Or is this not the correct way. Maybe add some before turning it on? I have added it to other cars and had luck with it. Thanks

Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

As the compressor is a known "Belly Leaker" it's most likely leaking from where the front and back are joined together. The other leak prone spots are the schrader valves. If it's pretty much empty you should be able to put in 2 12oz cans of freon without any gauges and see if it works and for how long. You can try the stuff with dye to see exactly where the leak is. If that lasts for a couple of months a can of stop leak might give you a little extra life from the compressor but eventually it will need to be replaced. I have more time than money so I tend to try everything before replacing parts or buying tools. If you actually have to open the system to change something that's where you need the gear to evacuate the system and put back the proper amount of oil and freon.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 AM

I have the same problem. Money. I think I will give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks

Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

Jumper the compressor to run while you initially fill with refrigerant.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:28 AM

I will do that. I also understood you could fill and after the system had sufficient pressure the compressor would kick on. But I will jump it and see what happens. Keep others posted. Hate when people don't post their results because it might help someone else with similar problems.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road

Try partsgeek.com. I redid my whole as basically for a little over $300. Ac compressor with pulley,dryer,hoses and condensor. Mine is a 1989 and all that was still original. But just the compressor was around $100. It's worth looking into if you can do it yourself

Old 04-05-2014, 03:16 AM

I Put about half a can in it with the compressor jumped. The gauge went up a little and the can got very cold but that was about it. after cutting off the engine the gauge went pass where it should have been. Started back up and gauge dropped back just above zero again with compressor running. No cold air inside and after unhooking jump wire compressor shuts off. Also seemed fairly hot to the touch for no longer than it ran. But once again the can of r132 was very cold to the point of getting frost on it. Apparently I have a more serious problem.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Starting Member

Here's how I do it without gauges or jumping the low side switch. Strart the truck and turn on the A/C on the dash. Put the temp all the way cold, the fan on Auto and push the A/C button LED. Connect the 12oz can of freon, open the valve and shake the can as it goes in. The can will get cold as the process of releasing pressure in the can is the same thing that happens in the A/C system. As the pressure in the accumulator tank builds the compressor should kick in all by itself near the end of the first can but might not run until part of the 2nd can is in. If your system was empty I don't think 1/2 can is enough to trip the low pressure switch. I think the full system takes about 28 oz but it will work with 24. In the case where you only think you have leaked it all out and you have over pressurized the system then you need to connect the gauges to the high side and bleed off freon until it gets down to the proper pressure. EPA rules say you have to capture the freon into a suitable container. In my case the yellow dye all over the bottom of the compressor was a dead giveaway.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dobyken
Strart the truck and turn on the A/C on the dash. Put the temp all the way cold, the fan on Auto and push the A/C button LED.

What A/C button LED?

Is that a ZR2 thing?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by WalkGood
What A/C button LED?

Is that a ZR2 thing?
No, it's the climate control version thing. There's a small button on the bottom right of the panel that enables the compressor. It lights up solid or flashes if it detects a problem. What specifically it's detecting I have no idea.