2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

CAN OBD tool - P0135 - oxygen sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default CAN OBD tool - P0135 - oxygen sensor questions

1. Can I use any type of sensor that will fit, and just cut the connector and splice it to the existing sensor?

I found several that use different plugs but are the same actual sensor. I am mostly asking this because the first one I looked up on google had posi-locks (splices) so I figured it has those so you can just use your existing connector.

2. what is the cheapest place to buy one? Would a used one be worth buying?

3. How to I get to it?

Here is the one I looked up

Old 07-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

First, diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it.

I would NOT recommend the splice type aftermarket sensors, or any aftermarket sensors for that matter. I have done side by side comparisons with many different brands of O2 sensors in GM applications and AC Delco sensors were more active out of the box than any other brand followed closely by NGK. Bosch O2 sensors were horrible in my testing. Spend the few extra $$ on AC Delco and sleep at peace knowing that you put the best sensor in for the job.

You need an AC Delco AFS105 sensor. You can grab them from RockAuto.com, Amazon.com, etc and they should run you around $45.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Starting Member

Autozone only has the bosch and I kinda need this fixed by tomorrow for work!

Any local places that sell the AC Delco AFS105??

Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I can get them local for a good price (i.e. not the dealer), but that doesn't help you much...

In the mean time, if drive-ability is a concern, swap the upstream sensor for one of the downstream sensors. They are all AFS105 sensors. Just be careful taking them out.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Starting Member

I don't need the down stream sensor??

Old 07-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Administrator

If you are doing the work in prep to get your truck inspected, then yes, you will need to have all of them functioning or you will fail the inspection. But if you are just trying to get the truck to run properly, only the upstream sensors (the ones closest to the exhaust manifolds before the 'y' in the y-pipe) are used for fuel management. The others are just catalyst monitors. So swap away!

Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Starting Member

Alright I have work in 2 hours.

Is it possible to swap them in about an hour?

What do I have to take apart to get to them?

Old 07-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Administrator

The length of time required depends on how frozen into the exhaust pipes they are. All that you need to do is get a wrench on them.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Starting Member

Where exactly are the sensors?

I am going to swap them and make sure it's the sensor that's bad.

Will I need to remove anything to get to them?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Administrator

You don't have to remove anything to get to them... They are in the exhaust pipe. Just crawl under your truck and you'll find them!

Here's a picture I've posted repeatedly in the past:

Just swap the B1S1 sensor with either the B1S2 or B1S3 sensor.

Quick Reply: CAN OBD tool - P0135 - oxygen sensor questions