2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Car Won't Start...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:41 AM
Beginning Member
Beach_Bum is on a distinguished road
Default Car Won't Start...Help!

My 2001 2dr Blazer has survived this brutal Chicago winter like a champ up until this morning. Another morning with negative temperatures and it didn't start.

The heater and electrical components (radio, etc) all work fine, however. I replaced the battery last August too so that's not it.

It simply won't start the engine when I turn the key. Anyone have any ideas what it may be? Will this most likely require towing and repair or is there potential for an easy part replacement that a non-car guy like myself could try after work?

Thanks guys.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:55 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

More details needed:
does the starter engage? does the engine turn-over but just not fire-up?

If starter is not turning the engine, then likely it is the battery connections or the cold has gotten to it regardless of it being new last Aug. Check the terminals, check the battery voltage with a meter.

If engine is turning but just not firing, then it could be the fuel line is frozen due to moisture in the line. Just needed warmer air temps or move vehicle to a warm garage to thaw-out.

Stay warm.

Last edited by LannyL81; 02-26-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM
Beginning Member
Beach_Bum is on a distinguished road

Lanny how would I know, or maybe this description will help. I'm at work now (luckily wife is at home on maternity leave so took her Traverse) so will go by what happened earlier in morning.

When I turned the key to the final position there would be a slight single noise and then nothing. So no clicking like when battery has been dead in past, and again radio and heat and other stuff works fine. No attempting of the engine to turn over.

Is that helpful? Would that mean I have the first issue and it's probably battery connections?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If all you hear is a single click/clunk and the engine does not turn over, then there is a problem with either the system voltage and/or the starter.

I would recommend starting with a simple voltage check. A low battery can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. In my experience with brutal cold, anything less than 11.6V can cause the starter to engage, but not spin over the engine. If it is low, a jump start from another running vehicle should get it to start up for you; provided you wait a bit for some charge to work back into the dead battery before trying to start it.

If the system voltage is fine, then there is a problem with the starter. You can try hitting the starter with a hammer to see if it is just worn brushes. If this works, then you'll need to replace the starter. It can stay working for a while, but know that you are using borrowed time and it may leave you stranded somewhere.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:50 PM
TarHeel0 is on a distinguished road

I was having this same problem too. I can't really attribute it to the severe cold or anything, because I'm in NC. But, I bought my Blazer about 2 weeks ago, and was told it needed an ignition switch. It started for a couple of days just fine, but one morning just wouldn't start. All the lights and radio work just fine, and could clearly hear the fuel pump. I could hear what sounded like a single click right behind steering wheel. Anyway, about a hour later it started.

That night, I didn't lock the doors(by accident), next morning started fine. So that night I tested it and locked the doors, next morning wouldn't start; same click, ect. Started after about 4 hours that day. Left them unlocked that night, and started right up the next day, and has since. I just don't lock my doors at night or an extended amount of time. Has worked for over a week now, I could just be getting lucky, or it could have something to do with that weird passlock-GM security system. It's working for me, thankfully I live in a boring place where you don't have to lock your car or house at night.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:25 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Your description was helpful; sounds like the starter is not engaging...this is what we needed to know.
If you can get under the vehicle or at least place a hand on the starter. Have another person turn the key to START and see if you can feel the starter solenoid move.

If it does not, then either the solenoid is stuck...try tapping it with a hammer as suggested above, or the ignition switch is not switching power to the solenoid when the key is turned to START.

Suggest measuring the voltage on the solenoid terminal when the key is turned to START....it is the small terminal of the two on the starter. If no voltage then probably is the ignition switch or if there is any type of aftermarket alarm system then it may be keeping voltage from getting to the starter

You could also take the starter out and then go have it tested.....but a bit of effort that may not be necessary to do.

OPEN QUESTION to the Forum: would it be advisable to have Beach_Bum jumper between the two starter terminals, just to see if the solenoid moves? This is something I would do, but telling someone else to do this, not knowing his capability may just be too risky.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Beginning Member
justaguywithtools is on a distinguished road

THE BIG QUESTION. turn on the headlamps and then give it a crank. do the headlamps dim out? if they do then it could be a battery or terminal issue.
if not, it could be a starter, relay, or switch.
the only damage that could be done trying to jumper the B+ on the starter to the signal wire terminal is a fried jumper. but just jump it for a second!!
i would not recommend jumping anything else without a circuit protected jumper, like a power probe.