2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

catalytic converter/ custom exhust

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Beginning Member
Tenthjester65 is on a distinguished road
Default catalytic converter/ custom exhust

I know we are not susposed to run without a cat, so here I am. I posted here while back having lots of trouble with my 2001 chevy blazer 4.3 2wd 5 speed. Found the cat to be clogged. So for time being aginst my better judgment I lopped it off so the truck would run to get me to and from work. Had no choice in the matter what so ever. So as a result I now find my self looking for a solution. Some people told me to hollow it which I think is illegal even tho we don't hAve inspection in fl. I have a friend who has one that worked when he removed it but it's looped off same place as mine a cut right where the y pipe meets the cat. Either way , mine hollow ,or his in tacked no telling if same will happen I need a solution asap. Also I have stock muffler cut off right at back. But both sstill have the flange on them. And hangers .

So which way should I go . And I was think as for reconnecting I could have a strict piece of pipe welded on cat I could clamp it so it's easy on easy off . Please help me

Old 12-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the vehicle is, or going to be, registered and licensed to operate on any public road, highway, etc, in any State, tampering with any emission control device is a Federal offence, no ifs, ands or buts. Prison time, and the fines are not cheap. It is illegal for boneyards to sell used converters too.

If I remember correctly, there are two converters on your 2001: A small one close to the "Y", and a larger one close to the flange where the muffler bolts up. Depending on the manufacturer, they are available aftermarket in one or two piece units. Either way, you basically need the entire "Y" pipe.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

So, Have you tried the internet trick of cleaning the Cat? Not saying that it is "THE thing' to do, but what have you got to loose at the moment? Soaking overnight in either heated Citric acid/oxaylic acid mix or Dawn dish soap. Do some Google research and see if it is worth the effort to try. Pieces of exhaust pipe can be welded to the converter to provide some stubs to reinstall it.

I wouldn't try the lacquer thinner in-vehicle method. Too many other things could be damaged.