2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Centering Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:28 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Centering Steering Wheel

I have been trying to get the steering wheel to be centered for quite awhile; I changed-out all the steering components over the last few years due to miles and years on them and always had an alignment done but the steering wheel just would not center when driving, always turned to the left.

Last time I took the Blazer in for an alignment was after I had the steering gear rebuilt to remove the "play". Once again shop aligned the steering wheel and upon driving home, steering wheel off to the left as usual.

Returned to shop about 1.5 months later to find the right toe was out 0.3°; odd?...why?...he checked everything and all was tight...??...set toe again and off I went....and steering wheel was still to the left, not as much though. Shop suggested I check the tires and I said I would rotate tires and see if any change.

The right front tire had alternating tread blocks worn...like I had shaved down every other tread block...really odd??? I also did a brake pad check and found that the right front inner pad was just about to the metal backing plate, all other pads had about the same thickness of 3-4mm.

Seems the caliper slider was not sliding all that well and/or piston is not fully retracting. I could easily move the caliper on the left front, but could barely get any movement on the right. I cleaned out the old grease out of the caliper bracket holes, swapped pins between left and right, re-greased pins, re-installed everything and although I got a bit of movement now out of the right side still nothing like the movement of the left.

However when driving, the steering wheel is centered like it should be.
I should also mentioned that I have a different/newer rebuilt caliper on the left side than the right due to the slider pin threads getting messed-up when I replaced the front pads a few years ago.
After driving for 45 miles or so I used my IR temperature gun and measured both calipers immediately after stopping and both were the same.
So appears I have cured the dragging right front brake. I still need to do a complete brake fluid flush and will do that today.

Comments.....

Old 01-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Beginning Member
JayArr is on a distinguished road

Hi Lanny

Inside the caliper holes where the pins go are o-rings that can harden. They are really cheap, I buy them by the bag from Rock Auto, and I just replace them every time I take the caliper off. You can grease them with silcone grease. Also - take a look at the pins, if they have started to corrode and are pitted just replace them, they are also inexpensive.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:07 PM

JayArr: Well I must admit that I have never even attempted to remove the O-rings out of the caliper brackets, the boots yes, but not any O-rings.
I went to RockAuto and they list several caliper bushings and only one looks like O-rings and that is AC Delco 18K1528; is this the one you use? Is there someway to know which bushings are the ones I need without taking them out of the caliper bracket first?

The guide pins were new ones on the left side which I moved to the right side; both sets are clean and shiney.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Beginning Member

Buy a bunch of Raybestos 1503 "caliper guide bushing kit" they are the little metal guides that the caliper pins go through. They aren't worth the time to clean and should be replaced whenever they corrode.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...29620&jsn=1259

Then buy some Raybestos H5201 and 5202. The o-rings seem to be called "caliper bushings" at Rock Auto.

Make sure you get both inner and outer bushings (o-rings), they are different sizes, one matches the end of the pin and the other matches the metal guide bushing.

Pry the old ones out with a small screwdriver or awl and lube the new ones with silicone grease and install. This will get your calipers sliding like new.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:39 AM

JayArr:
I looked-up the part numbers you listed above at RockAuto, but appears part numbers are off; the 1503 caliper guide bushing kit is H51032 according to the link you provided. The H5201 & H5202 appear to be the same, although RockAuto does not give detailed information on the sizes.

Could you check these numbers and let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited by LannyL81; 01-23-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Beginning Member

Hi Lanny

Your right the first part is H51032 not 5103.

The second two part numbers look correct to me, they both use the same picture but if you read the descriptions you'll see they are described differently as well.

RAYBESTOS H5201K Professional Grade Info
Front Inner; Single Piston Calipers

RAYBESTOS H5202K Professional Grade Info
Front Outer; Single Piston Calipers

One is smaller, it fits around the end of the pin, the other is larger and fits around the first part (#H51032)

If you still don't believe me go take the caliper off your car and look.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 AM

Hi Jay;
It is the the descriptions for the H5201K and H520K that brought-up my question; the "single piston caliper" part...the front calipers are dual pistons, the rear calipers are single piston.

Sure appreciate your time.

Lanny

Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 AM
Beginning Member

OK, I see where I went wrong, totally my mistake Lanny, you're right.

My front brakes are single piston and I was assuming yours were too, I thought all 2nd gen Blazers had singles up front.

My advice doesn't apply to your brakes, sorry for wasting your time.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:00 PM

Jay;
Was not a waste of time...not at all.

I did take the caliper bracket off to find out why the left side was so loose compared to the right side; aftermarket guide pin bushings/boots on the left side, they are too large a diameter so the guide pin does not fit tight....not even close.

So appears I need to get another guide pin bushing/boot kit for the left side, may have to go AC-Delco for the proper fit...do not know at this time.

But anyways this mystery is solved.

I am pretty sure my '95 Blazer had single piston calipers as it had drums in the rear. But this 2002 has two piston caliper fronts and single piston calipers rear. I do not know what year the change was made. I know my '95 ate front pads; probably changed them every year or so. The brakes worked fine.....no hot spots on the rotors or anything like that....just went through pads. Had a co-worker with a newer Blazer, probably dual piston fronts and he had like 85k miles on the OEM pads, whereas I got 10-12k miles on a front set.

Oh well....much thanks once again.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:16 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Just an FYI, all blazers came with 4 wheel disc starting in 1998 IIRC.

Quick Reply: Centering Steering Wheel