2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

changed heater core, now temp. gauge won't work!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM
trampaslake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default changed heater core, now temp. gauge won't work!

Howdy all,

I undertook the monumental task of changing the heater core on my 2001 Blazer yesterday. It took me 12 hours but I did it!

BUT, when I got the dashboard back in and cranked the car, the temp. gauge needle on the dashboard was pointing straight down instead of up and now doesn't work.

I can't figure out what happened. Does anybody have any idea what I might have done to make it do this?

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: changed heater core, now temp. gauge won't work!

It is possible that the needle shifted loose while the dash was being removed. You could pop the clear lense off of the cluster, turn the key to the ON position, with a cold engine, and push the needle on so it sits at the lowest dash on the gauge. Once that is done, warm the truck up and see where it goes to. If that does not work, the only other real definitive way of putting it back on would be using a scan tool to read the temperature.

If none of that results in the gauge being proper, the cluster may be damaged.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

It is possible that the needle shifted loose while the dash was being removed. You could pop the clear lense off of the cluster, turn the key to the ON position, with a cold engine, and push the needle on so it sits at the lowest dash on the gauge. Once that is done, warm the truck up and see where it goes to. If that does not work, the only other real definitive way of putting it back on would be using a scan tool to read the temperature.

If none of that results in the gauge being proper, the cluster may be damaged.
Hey thanks! That's a good idea.

How hard is it to get the clear cover off?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

It is really easy. There are4 torx head bolts,I think size 15. Drop the steering wheel down, or remove the shifter thenremove the bezel from the front. Or in this caseyou can probably just pull it out enough to get to the bolts. there is one bolt in each corner.

Im actually just about to go out to my truck and do basicaly the same thing. I just got a tach gage cluster, hehe

So now when my trans starts slipin at least I can see just how high my rpms are, lol, hehe, I love my baby!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: changed heater core, now temp. gauge wont work!

Yep, it is fairly easy to remove the cover. UM covered it pretty good. I think there are some illustrations in the A/V section somewhere

Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 AM

Thanks so much!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 PM
peter143 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
This is peter. I am newly join this is site. its very useful to others.i completed my graduation and i start a new business but i have some problems because i started new so i can not any experience so how to improve my business with less expenditure and which business is good for in this situation.Most of the people suffer for their job so do not disappointed start a new business first is we face many up and downs so every one be strong and start a new life.

=============================
peter

New Jobs