2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Clear Codes For Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Beginning Member
Fivspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clear Codes For Inspection

The state I live in requires an annual inspection (visual, not emissions) and I have a check engine light on for running lean. I plan to continue to search for the problem but I'm overdue for my inspection and need to turn off the light long enough to pass. I don't have a code reader. I know I can get the codes cleared at the local parts store, but how long do I have before the light would come back on? I'd be willing to unhook the battery before getting it inspected but that might seem a bit suspicious to do in the parking lot of the inspection facility.

I have searched for answers but didn't come up with anything concrete. Suggestions?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If they plug in, they'll know you recently reset the system. If they don't and just look for the light, a 10 minute battery reset may get you the leeway you need. Depends on how quick the PCM adapts to the problem before it throws another code. The alternative is to get a cheap code reader that can clear the PCM and do it once you get there.