2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

clicking while accelerating! 4wd trouble to - just got new fornt end parts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Starting Member
dj00140 is on a distinguished road
Default clicking while accelerating! 4wd trouble to - just got new fornt end parts!

Ok I searched this and found some stuff, but there was a few unique things in my case. I just had work done on my truck 97 4x4 Blazer. Upper lower ball joints both sides, both cv axles and seals, pitman arm, idler arm, serp belt, belt tensioner, front brakes.

Now b4 I got this work done sometimes when I would accelerate hard my truck would rev and like kick into gear is what it felt like, only when i accelerated hard and only occasionally i thought this was my transfer case or tranny. My 4wd worked fine.

Now after this work when I accelerate very hard my truck ticks and it sounds like its coming from the middle/back but cant be sure only heard it twice and then took it easy. Now just to see when I pulled in my drive way I pushed 4 lo- and it seemed to work and then I turned the wheel right and bang...bang like every half or quarter turn of the wheel it banged and I turned it to the left same thing.!

Any advice is appreciated, im low on cash and this is me and my gf's only means of transportation. My cousin is a mechanic so I will bring it in to him as soon as I can! THANKS ALL AND GOD BLESS!

Last edited by dj00140; 11-18-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Starting Member
Thumbs down

OK well I checked my front differential and it only had play when i rotated it about 10 degrees, the clicking only happens when i accelerate from a stand still im hoping its just something hitting the axle but any ideas would be amazing guys.

When I first brought it in they said my t-case was bad, but 2 other mechanics didnt see it, anyways how can i know if its my tcase or rear differential...? theres no play in the wheels theres no noise when driving no clicking when in park... HELP PLEASE

Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Beginning Member
aura1 is on a distinguished road

my blazer did this. turned out to be the rear u joint in the drive shaft. really easy repair!!

Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, dry u-joints can cause a clicking noise when stressed under acceleration. I would check there first.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:46 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

every 4x4 will do it eventually, theres alot of joints and lash adds up

Old 11-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Starting Member

Sweet I was just reading blazer reviews about trannys and rear differenials going bad and im like just happy as hell that mine was good and just wanted it to last til summer and put all this money into my truck and ordered tires and was worried as hell it was gonna cost me another $800 anyways will bring it in tonight and report back! Thanks guys

Also I have 205/70/R15 tires and want to throw on some 235/75/R15 I shouldnt have any troubles right.!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

I run 235/75/15's under mine and there is no problem, the speedo is off very slightly but no big deal

Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Starting Member

What about the clicking while in 4wd when the wheels are turned slightly? could that still be a ujoint?

and can you adjust the speedo?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The problem when in 4wd may be to a sticking front axle engagement cable. I assume that noise was coming from the front of the truck.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Starting Member

thanks, so would that cause the ticking to or do you think its 2 seperate issues? it just started in the cold! and it did seem to be coming from the front/middle! Thanks a lot for your help i really need it! And appreciate it more then you know!

Driving on my lunch break It sounded like something was rattling around a tiny bit when driving slow I could hear it! PLEASE HELP GUYS! thanks so much!

Last edited by dj00140; 11-19-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: clicking while accelerating! 4wd trouble to - just got new fornt end parts!