2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Code scanner/reader

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 10:43 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road
Default Code scanner/reader

I finally broke down today and bought a code reader at AutoZone today, spent like $45 bucks on it... I hooked it up to my 98 Blazer LT 4x4 and found a code, P0135... Before I go looking on youtube I was wondering what it means and is it a common issue???

Old 09-16-2020, 11:28 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

The heater circuit in the upstream Bank 1 (drivers side) O2 sensor has failed. The truck will get lower fuel economy and have higher emissions until the system warms up then the truck will run normal. Its a common issue. Its not a time critical failure. It can also be a wiring problem instead of the sensor itself.

George

Old 09-16-2020, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
The heater circuit in the upstream Bank 1 (drivers side) O2 sensor has failed. The truck will get lower fuel economy and have higher emissions until the system warms up then the truck will run normal. Its a common issue. Its not a time critical failure. It can also be a wiring problem instead of the sensor itself.

George
Many thanks good Sir Crazy thing about it is I already cleared the code with my new toy lol and the truck actually is smoother while at idle since I lost the service engine light... Hmmm, not sure what 2 make of it lol...

Old 09-20-2020, 01:59 AM

I recently bought a Innova 3020 code scanner from AutoZone for like $50 bucks... I told the parts guy that I wanted one that would work on my 98 Blazer as well as my wifes 97 Nissan Maxima. He said the 3020 would do the job fine for both of them. Well, it works great on the 98 but I can't seem 2 get it connected properly on the car... Was I mislead? Surely a Nissan dosen't take a special scanner, especially a 97 model???

Old 09-20-2020, 05:51 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure a '97 Nissan imported to the US has a standard ODB II port and programming.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cimmerian
Pretty sure a '97 Nissan imported to the US has a standard ODB II port and programming.
I tried and tried but it dosen't hook up... I went back 2 the parts store, Advance this time, and was told I would need a different code reader, mine dosen't have enough prongs where it plugs in for her 97 Nissan... Go figure, gotta buy a more expensive 1 instead of buying the right 1 to begin with I know those guys aren't certified mechanics and all but instead of telling a customer "oh yes, this is exactly what you need 2 buy", just tell the truth, "sorry, I am not really sure but I will try 2 find out for you" before we spend unnecessary money...

Old 10-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Beginning Member
YoureATowel is on a distinguished road

All vehicles 96 or after are required to have OBD-II. The only thing with it is, which pins are used for diagnostic. When I was first starting out I had an 05 Cobalt and my brother had an 05 Legacy and his scan tool worked on his but not mine. Came to find out that his had a bent pin and it worked after I fixed it. Personally I like to buy the more expensive tools since I used to work in a garage so I have a high dollar Snap-On scan tool now. They do however have a small scan tool that (if I remember correctly) was around $300 and it would save scans and it would let you view a good bit of information. It will hook up to all OBD-II vehicles. You can go with Matco, Mac, or SnapOn to be sure. I've heard good things about the new scan tools from Harbor Freight as well.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:42 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Members here have proven many scanner options for our trucks that are cost effective. The most basic that does most things consists of an inexpensive BT module and an Android device with inexpensive software and the most expensive recent find does just about everything including crank sensor relearn for under $150. I have a few scanners including a high end Snap On and it is not necessary to spend that kind of money.

George