2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 12:14 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default codes

my check engine light has been on for a while and i thought it was due to having a different muffler on it but i plugged it up and showed 5 codes. they were 449,440,410,410,440. i dont know where to figure out what these mean, anybody happen to know wht they mean? i figure one of them is something w/ o2 censer but no clue on the rest
*edit* i found a site that showed alot of the codes but only helped me on the 449= vacum leak, 440= N/A, and didnt even list 410.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:56 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: codes

I found these@ obdII.com
P0410 = Secondary Air Injection System
P0440 = Evaporative Emission Control System
P0449 = EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Control Circuit

Old 12-22-2007, 01:11 PM

ok thanks i understand the 440 but the other t im not sure what they mean, can anybody explain them to me. im not good w. this tech stuff. and maaybe what it needs to fix it

Old 12-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the PCM is pointing towards the EVAP vent solenoid which is located near the back of the fuel tank and should be located behind a sheild near the driver's side frame rail, IIRC.

The AIR code (P0410) means something is wrong with the AIR pump that, on a 4wd is located under the radiator towards the passenger side frame rail. I think it is in the same location on a 2wd. Anyway, it is possible for condensation to get into the pump and corrode things. The pump can be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated if it isn't too bad.

The AIR (air injection reaction) system was thought to extend the life of the catalytic converter as well as allow it to operate more efficiently. It really didn't do a good job of either. If you are in the market for a PCM tune, many tuner shops can eliminate the code for the AIR system allowing you to remove it. Many have done this with no consequences when undergoing emissions testing at the tail pipe, even further reinforcing the fact that the AIR system really doesn't work as advertised. Kinda makes me wonder why my '04 Rainier still has the darn thing.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:44 PM

thatnks swartlkk, are these issues i need to adress promptly? i dont kow the importance of these parts

Old 12-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The sooner you pop apart the AIR pump the less damage will be done. It is still possible that you would need to replace the AIR pump, but you may be able to save it.

The vent solenoid won't impact performance and can be overlooked for a bit. The part isn't that expensive and is quite easy to change.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:19 PM

ok cool after the holiday are over and i can bounce back fromit, i will look in to fixing them. thanks