2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cold temp. starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cold temp. starting issue

Howdy.

Now that the fall is coming and temps are down under 10 in the mornings(Southern Ontario), i've begun having some issues with the blazer starting. It's only in the mornings... afternoon when i come home from work it fires right up but colder mornings it struggles. It's trying to catch...it turns over just wont' fire. Takes a couple long tries holding the key forward.

99 Zr2. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil done in May. Tested fuel pressure many times, most recently about 3 weeks ago... 62 psi with key in run(and i hear the pump start up). Lots of gas in the tank. Battery reads 14 while driving although i do think i may have a charging system issue developing as when i run the rear defogger or a/c and am at idle it will fluctuate up and down a bit...not enough to dim the lights but it does dip under 14 at idle with extra accessories running.

What should I check? I know a battery can be okay to run, but not be good to start when it's on it's way out... is that the most likely culprit?

Old 09-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Beginning Member
Clay_Assassin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cold temp. starting issue

I would go out and start it before its light out, with somebody helping. See if you can see sparks. I've had wires go bad in just a few months. Heat from surrounding engine parts can thin the plastic, or in some cases melt, andyou get a wire short. Also possible the new cap or rotor isn't sealing well or has a crack.

The symptons you describe are too typical of moisture on the engine electrical componentsin the morning.

I have just started combatting the same issue. It's been getting worse over the past year, and now wont start when it rains. Wires all had "burn" marks from trying to start the car when damp. (Any wire touching another showed a burn spot) We'll see how it goes after replacing the worn ignition parts and the next rain or morning start. Every morning, my car looks like it has been rained on with the morning dew dripping off it.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Starting Member

I'll have to check that out. I swapped the ignition stuff in the spring because as soon as it warmed up enough i had moisture related problems...although then it wasn't starting, it was misfires while driving.

I have blue taylor wires so it wont' be hard to find burn marks if there are any.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Starting Member

Okay update: Yesterday it happened in the middle of the afternoon, 26 deg out and sunny...no moisture anywhere. I think i've ruled out that. It has to be ignition related though. Either i have a faulty part that's been replaced or perhaps the distributor? How can I test the distributor? Anything else i'm missing?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Starting Member

Update: it got random for a while... some mornings seemed fine and others bad...although it's been warmer around here for a bit. The last couple days have been brutal... -5 in the morning and yesterday it took 8 tries to get it to fire. Seems to have juice... just won't fire. I tested the fuel pressure again today and it's fine, 60psi and holds.

As a review, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil replaced in april.

Could it be injectors? Going to run some cleaner through it tonight..it's been a long time since i did that.

I'd appreciate some other ideas.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

have you tried a block warmer?? or even keeping the battery on a charger overnight?? kinda like what you would do to a diesel engine,,,

Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: 2002XTREME

have you tried a block warmer?? or even keeping the battery on a charger overnight?? kinda like what you would do to a diesel engine,,,
No i haven't...but until the past two days the temps haven't been below freezing. This was happening when it was as high as 8degrees.

I plan to have the battery tested for cold cranking...assuming tha'ts a test that can be done?

Old 10-23-2008, 09:02 AM

the sticker on the battery may even say what the cold cranking is...I always get the highest cold cranking battery i can get for my cars.. The last battery i bought for my van was from sears i cost me nearly 180.00 but $ was no object at the time i hadda job back then LOL..its a new style battery they rec came out with..if you live near a sears store check them out.. I havent driven my van in roughly 3 or 4 weeks, i have elec start on it thru my alarm, i hit the button it started right up with no hesitation

Heres the link for the battery http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...s+%26+Chargers

its the platinum battery

Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 AM
z28jeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure sounds like a fuel pump to me. Have you had the opportunity to check fuel pressure while it was acting up? Like when it's cranking and not firing...that would bethe idealtime to check fuel pressure.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:12 AM

Also another thing to remember, in temps that cold what oil do u have in the eng? Try putting an additive in the oil like marvel mystery oil or slick 50 or z-max to help with cold start friction... I dont feel it could be anything esle but the temps that are causing most of these problems your listing... Ive been in Canada personally when it was 70 deg below 0 , ive seen what it takes to start a car in that weather..Good luk and maybe its time to move to a warmer climate, and get cheaper gas.. LOL

Quick Reply: Cold temp. starting issue