2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cold temp. starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cold temp. starting issue

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I hate recommending things as drastic as replacing the spider without running through the testing. The bad part is, without taking the truck out of commission for good while, it is very difficult to test my theory.

I was able to get the spider from my local dealer for just under $300 out the door (IIRC). If you have an AC Delco retailer close, it keeps the dealers more honest. I have listed the part number somewhere around here.
I understand. I just priced it at the dealer...they want 550$ canadian, but he was willing to give it to me for 480$. I called Part Source which is our Autozone basically and they dont' source the whole kit, and claim that their AC Delco source doesnt' have it on the aftermarket either.

Going to try a reputable wrecker to see.

Another option i presume is to remove it and have it cleaned by an injector cleaning place. I know of one local that has a good rep. How long of a job would it be to remove for a decent mechanic wiht limited blazer experience?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Starting Member

Okay... just called the local injection place. They agree it's fuel related... think the injectors or poppet nozzels could be sticking...or it could be insufficient fuel mixture being sent by the ecm. I mentioned no codes are thrown when they asked... they will clean the spider for me if i remove it. A couple hundred bucks if it's really bad and they have to dismantle it... significantly less if they can just dip it(i forget in what).

They also have a cleaner they recommend and suggested that as a cheaper troubleshooting method.

It sounds like if the spider can be cleaned it's going to be the cheapest way to go...whether i have to remove it or get lucky with injector cleaner.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not all that long (in reference to removing the spider). Just make sure they take off the fuel line completely, not just bend it back out of the way. The longest part of the whole process is getting the main wiring harness loose so you can get it out of the way.

Honestly, getting them cleaned is only a temporary fix. As the poppet nozzles wear, the surfaces get scored. This increases the resistance in the poppet nozzle as well as gives someplace for junk to grab hold. Cleaning them will only work for so long. That is why GM came out with the MFI spider which no longer uses the problematic poppet nozzles that the earlier SCFI spiders did.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Not all that long (in reference to removing the spider). Just make sure they take off the fuel line completely, not just bend it back out of the way. The longest part of the whole process is getting the main wiring harness loose so you can get it out of the way.

Honestly, getting them cleaned is only a temporary fix. As the poppet nozzles wear, the surfaces get scored. This increases the resistance in the poppet nozzle as well as gives someplace for junk to grab hold. Cleaning them will only work for so long. That is why GM came out with the MFI spider which no longer uses the problematic poppet nozzles that the earlier SCFI spiders did.
I can't disagree with that. I just can't afford $500 right now...especially given it's not 100% positively the problem at this point(although it has to be over 90% sure).

There's something that's bugging me about this problem still. I can understand the temperature causing the nozzles to stick and therefore the block heater keeping that from happening... but the starter fluid confuses me a bit. If the nozzles are stuck and fuel is restricted enough that the motor won't start.... how does spraying a bit of start fluid in the tb get it to stay running once it's fired. Does the engine firing bring up the fuel flow to unstick them(assuming that's the problem).

I'm just struggling with how these two methods for starting the cold motor could be affecting the same problem.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could be the vibration of the motor running initially off of the starter fluid.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:23 PM
NoPantsAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to Canadian Tire in here and they gave me a price of $360 for the MFI spider assembly. This was not the kit just the Assembly(with FPR). I'm having the same problem as you, and have just been using starter fluid. At 4 bucks a can and I'm havent even made a dent in my first one its hard to justify the cost right now.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: NoPantsAndy

I went to Canadian Tire in here and they gave me a price of $360 for the MFI spider assembly. This was not the kit just the Assembly(with FPR). I'm having the same problem as you, and have just been using starter fluid. At 4 bucks a can and I'm havent even made a dent in my first one its hard to justify the cost right now.
That's a bit better... if that's all that is needed.

I was contemplating a 'trap door' in my intake to quickly spray the starter fluid in LOL

I'd rather get it fixed. Going to scan the truck cold to see what all the sensors are reading to rule out electrical once and for all.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Starting Member

Update: Okay I had an epiphany...or maybe it was a moment of futility and decided to dump some sea foam in the tank... a full bottle despite the instructions calling only for a half..and added some gas on top. We had a huge dumping of snow and -10 degree weather so i spent the last two days booting around in 4 wheel drive to burn up the gas quicker... and something surprising happened yesterday leaving work and then again at night..the truck started full cold without needing the starter fluid! I think it was sticking poppet nozzels afterall and i just needed the right cleaner. This morning will be the big test...i didnt' plug in the block heater last night. I'll post up when i get home from work ....fingers crossed

Old 11-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Starting Member

Well, it started this morning and again after work... it was a hard sounding start but immediate. I think my problem may be fixed

Old 11-23-2008, 04:06 PM
NoPantsAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just so happens I have a can of sea foam laying around somewhere, and only a quarter tank of gas. Maybe I'll give it a whirl also. Its been cold here so I've been using starter fluid almost every morning lately.

Quick Reply: Cold temp. starting issue