2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Combination problem ABS and auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Beginning Member
AndyBees is on a distinguished road
Default Combination problem ABS and auto tranny

My 1995 Blazer has 77k miles on it, driven primarily by wife and we are second owners (was purchased from original ower with only 5,420 miles on it in August 1999)

The other day, we were driving thru town doing the usual, stop and go. Then all of sudden the ABS light come on and the auto tranny began to act up. It will shift into 2nd but when it shifts to 3rd the engine revs.

I was able to get to my uncle's VW shop nearby. Right off, we noticed the vacuum line along the firewall was colapsed. Replaced the vacuum line....still same problem.

Help! This is the first major issue with this vehicle.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by AndyBees; 11-14-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: correct info about original purchase & owner
Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The first order of business is to diagnose the ABS fault. If the light is on, there should be stored trouble codes.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Beginning Member

Finally, today I was able check on my '95 Chevy Blazer .......... symptons identified in the first post to this Thread.

I started engine, allowed it to idle for about two or three minutes, put it in drive and drove up my uncle's drive-way for about 100 feet. The ABS light come on (as described in the first post). I did not go fast enough for the auto tranny to shift out of low gear.

So, I did a scan with ScanGuage thru the OBD port. No fault codes were shown.

Has anyone had these symptons with their Blazer? Read the original post.

Initially, the ABS light just popped on and then I noticed the engine rev-up when the tranny shifted to 3rd gear. This is repeated each time the engine is started. The ABS doesn't come on until the vehicle is put in drive and driven a few feet. And, as I stated, it will not shift into 3rd gear.

Is there a relationship between these two items that may pertain to safety? In that if something goes south with the ABS, the tranny doesn't shift into 3rd gear.

Anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by AndyBees; 11-13-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: To correct error in a sentence
Old 11-14-2009, 12:24 AM
jigger is on a distinguished road

I think on the 95, which I have , I remember a recall on the abs. Took mine to the dealer, but it's been a few years back, and they replaced a wire harness and some other parts. They said had something to do with the 4wd and the abs. Sorry I can't remember more but if you can check old recalls on that year it might give you a start. I'm sure the recall is expired,but you never know till you check

Old 11-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Beginning Member

According to Motor Trend, there have been two Recalls relating to the ABS on the '95 Blazer. Both of these Recalls were on July 19, 1999. They both are related and have to do with the ability to stop quickly and safely in 2wd vs 4wd.

In the original post, I stated that I am the original owner. Actually, I purchased the Blazer from the Original Owner in August of 1999 with only 5,420 miles on it... no warranty of course. The guy's wife had purchased it for a retirement gift to him. He liked his Chevy pick-up better and the Blazer sit in the garage all those years. He died later that year with terminal cancer.

So, I'm thinking I probably need to take VIN number to a GM dealer to see what can be done about the recall or needed repairs. I do not remember seeing anything about a Recall on the vehicle.

Still, why has this ABS flashing light and the tranny shifting both hit at the same time?

Very strange!

Old 11-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your CEL (check engine light) is not on, then I would not expect your scangauge to show any codes. I do not think your scangauge can access the EBCM (electronic brake control module). If the ABS light comes on, that means the EBCM detects a fault.

A failure in the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) can cause problems with both shifting and ABS operation. It may also cause issues with the speedometer, but does not always have to.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 PM

Good call swartlkk-if the vehicle has beeb sitting in storage or long time parked look fir wires that have been rodent chewed.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Beginning Member

The Vehicle (1995 Blazer) was purchased in August 1999. It was stored in a very nice tight structure. It had 5,420 miles on it when I purchased it. The guy had changed the oil and filter 5 times. It still had the paper dealer floor mats in it.... smelled like a new vehicle!

Now, 10 years later, it has a little over 77,000 miles on it.

Rodents can chew wires overnight! And, I do agree that wires damaged by a rodent could be the problem since we do park it outside occasionally.

However, the vehicle had been driven about 55 miles the day it started acting up.... driving away from a stop light and shifting to 3rd the engine revvvveed-up and I looked down and the ABS light was flashing. It will drive in 1st and 2nd... and the ABS continually flashes once it comes on.

Sources off this website have told me it is most likely a sensor in the rear axle housing, depending on which style/type of ABS system it has.

Right now, I'm tied down with a relative in the hospital due to terminal cancer. When I get the time, I'll ferret out the problem and fix it myself!

I seriously doubt that sitting those first 4 to 5 years of its life has anything to do with what's going now.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

I am not sure where you read about a sensor in the rear axle because there are no sensors located in the rear axle on any s-series vehicle, ABS or otherwise.

Have you scanned the EBCM for codes yet? The truck IS trying to tell you what is wrong. Your scan tool is just incapable of reading the system where the fault lies.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:42 PM

The chepo autozone code readers don't read abs codes. You need to use a quality reader that can do either enhanced or global scans. That should let you know what abs code is there.
Sorry about your relative with cancer---will say a prayer.

Quick Reply: Combination problem ABS and auto tranny